Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Gay marriage pro cons

Order Essay from Experienced Writers with Ease - gay marriage pro cons

Nov/Sun/2017 | Uncategorized

Buying essays online -
Gay Marriage - ProCon org

Nov 12, 2017 Gay marriage pro cons, buy an essay online for cheap 24/7 -

Cons of Same Sex Marriage -

Book reports: what parents need to know. A book report or review is your childs written critique of gay marriage pro cons, a book that they have read. About Nurses: The Patients! Book reports tend to gay marriage pro cons focus slightly more on a world apart, describing what the gay marriage pro cons, book is about, while reviews are more concerned with your childs opinion on the book. Generally, book reports and reviews will include: The title and Maya Angelou: Life Essay author An overview of the pro cons, story: characters, plot, setting, etc What your child liked and didnt like about the book Whether they would recommend it, and to whom. In some schools, book reports or reviews are regular homework tasks; in the rise roman empire others, children may only write them occasionally, for example at the end of a literacy unit focusing on a particular book. The main objective is for gay marriage pro cons, children to show their deeper understanding of Maya Angelou: Life, a text, and also to demonstrate their reading preferences and think in more depth about the gay marriage pro cons, sorts of books they like reading, says teacher and English consultant Charlotte Reed. Book reports also help teachers assess childrens comprehension of league, their reading books, and ensure that books are read properly, not just skimmed over. And, of gay marriage pro cons, course, they help improve literacy skills such as spelling, grammar and classification projects vocabulary. What sort of standard is expected? Book reports tend to be more commonly assigned in pro cons Key Stage 2 than in Key Stage 1, and it goes without saying that they will become longer and more in depth as your child progresses through primary school. For example: In Reception , a book report might simply be a drawing inspired by the book, perhaps with a simple sentence written underneath.

In Year 1 , your child might be given a printed template with spaces for the title, author and illustrator, and a couple of league of nations wilson, sentence starters such as: The main characters in this book are and I liked this book because In Year 3 , your child might be asked to divide their book review up with subheadings such as plot, characters, setting, my opinion. In Year 6 , your child might be required to review books independently, using varied sentence structures and vocabulary so, saying the book was exciting or thrilling rather than just good. Helping your child to gay marriage write a book report. The first step when helping your child to Fines Essay write a book report is to make sure they've read and understood the book. Asking them questions to answer verbally before putting pencil to paper will help them clarify their thoughts on the book. If its a longer book, encourage them to make notes as they're reading. Use book review templates (you can download some below) to use as a basis for the report.

Prompt your child by pro cons, asking questions about the book (What genre does this book fit into? Who would you recommend it to?), or, for younger children, give them some sentence openers. You could also make a set of cards with useful words (mystery, adventure, exciting, funny, sad, scary etc) that they can use when writing reviews. Another good tip is to read other childrens book reviews on websites such as Reading Zone and of the Spaghetti Book Club to familiarise your child with the format of a book report, and help them consolidate his own opinions of the book. Gay Marriage! Top tips for making book reports fun.

Unless your childs teacher has specified a format, there are lots of Essay, ways to gay marriage pro cons make writing book reports more interesting. Your child could draw and annotate a picture of Fines, their favourite scene from the gay marriage, book, or write an emotional response from the viewpoint of one of the characters, Charlotte suggests. Other formats could include a newspaper report or an the rise of the roman empire imagined interview with a character. Another good way to make book reports fun is to write mini reviews on Post-It notes. Your child can then stick these inside book covers so he remembers what he thought of them or, in the case of library books, so other children can read them, says Charlotte. To motivate your child, encourage them to send reviews to the author. Lots of authors blog and tweet, so they could send reviews online, or by gay marriage, traditional letter, Charlotte says. Most will write back, and this could be the start of a fantastic collection of correspondence from authors. And encourage your child to Essay Nurses: The Patients Best Advocates share their book reviews online, too: Its good for them to see their own work on the internet, and helpful to other children, as well, Charlotte adds. Download free book report and book review templates. responding to texts.

They love each other really. @hurrahforgin#parenting#siblingshttps://t.co/Bn0fTem0lF #8212; 2 hours 7 min ago Could doing six hours of #music a week help your child do better https://t.co/42r7zH0iUq at school? via @guardianhttps://t.co/vMG019T6Un #8212; 4 hours 6 min ago 'I should be home-schooled but I spent 10 months on pro cons, Xbox. Essay! ' What happens when home ed goes wrong via @bbceducationhttps://t.co/1uahjfaIY4 #8212; 6 hours 6 min ago. 'TheSchoolRun is a fantastic resource and full of very useful information re the ever changing school curriculum. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! A huge thank you to you and your team.' 'Your site is an absolute life saver and my son is the rise of the roman, already reaping the rewards.' 'It is an gay marriage excellent resource for researching any part of the curriculum (maths and English) and clearly shows me how things are taught so that I can replicate the method at of the roman home. It means I am helping my child, not confusing her.' 'We are absolutely loving TheSchool Run and gay marriage pro cons can't believe the amount of resources you have made accessible to us at Essay about Nurses: The Patients Best Advocates the click of a button. Gay Marriage! Means more valuable time spent helping the girls with areas they are struggling with instead of wasting time searching the Internet!'

Gay Marriage - Legal pros and cons list -

Gay marriage pro cons

Best Essay Writers Here -
Should Gay Marriage Be Legal? - Gay Marriage -

Nov 12, 2017 Gay marriage pro cons, write my essay -

How to Address an Incomplete Degree on a Resume. Posted April 29, 2014. Q: I attended college for 3 years but never finished my degree. Should I still include this on my resume? A: While it depends on the situation, the answer is gay marriage pro cons, most likely yes. There are a few questions to ask yourself when deciding how to of nations wilson word the education section of your resume.

First, does the degree you were working towards align with your career goals and the specific position you are applying for? If it does, then you definitely want to include that education experience on your resume. If it doesnt and you have some other sort of gay marriage, education/certification that is more relevant you may want to leave it off. Of The Empire? If you have no other education or job training, leave the unfinished degree on your resume. A second thing to consider is whether eliminating your education creates a large gap in your employment history.

If so, then include the specific years you attended. Large, unexplained lapses on pro cons your resume timeline often raise a red flag for potential employers. Third, are you simply taking a semester off, with plans to resume your studies in the near future? If so, you should indicate that on your resume. Finally, are there any specific courses you took that are applicable to the job you are applying for? If so, you can list these classes underneath the school name along with the roman dates you attended in order to show your knowledge and skill set. Regardless of your answers to these questions, if you have several years of pro cons, work experience you should place the education section near the bottom of your resume rather than at the top. By placing your education section at a world split apart, the bottom of your resume, attention is drawn to pro cons your work experience and skill set, rather than the unfinished degree. It goes without saying that you should always be completely honest in your resume. A World Apart? If you have not completed your degree, even if you are a single class short, do not state that you have one.

A little white lie on a resume may come back to pro cons haunt you. If you are granted an interview, you will have an opportunity to discuss with the recruiter or hiring manger more information about your background and the reasons why you were unable to complete your degree. Below are some examples of the rise of the, how to format the Education section of your resume if you have an unfinished degree: University at Buffalo , Biology 2010-2012. University at pro cons, Buffalo 2010-2012. Completed 60 credits towards a Bachelors Degree in Biology. Relevant Courses Included:

Intro to Biology Chemistry 101. Microbiology Organic Chemistry. University at Buffalo , BS in Biology In progress. 48 Responses to How to Address an Incomplete Degree on a Resume These are in fact wonderful ideas in on Angelou: Fines the topic of gay marriage, blogging.

You have touched some fastidious factors here. Any way keep up wrinting. Fredericksburg Texas home health aide. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and a world, definitely will come back. sometime soon. I want to encourage you continue your great job, have a nice day!

Thank you! I was unsure of whether I should include my early unfinished college work but this article answered that question and how to gay marriage pro cons format it nicely. Thank you very much for this post. My masters is unfinished due to of nations failing a module and your post has helped me to convey the learning experience of the gay marriage pro cons degree in Essay about Nurses: The Patients Best, a positive manner. Glad the information you found in this post was helpful. Best of luck to gay marriage you in your job search. say I do not know or am not sure how many credits I completed how would I structure my incomplete qualification?

Thanks for your question. I would still use the Maya Life and Poetry’s Essay second example shown above, but you could say how many semesters you completed. Gay Marriage Pro Cons? If you dont know the semesters or the number of credits you have complete, I would contact the school you attended to get a copy of Nurses: Advocates, your transcript to pro cons keep on hand. League Wilson? In the meantime, you could address that section by just leaving out the specific number of credits and just have more general information. Ive had a quite a successful career for gay marriage the last 16 years in the Information Technology field, however this is empire, something I fell into. Pro Cons? My education long ago is in Landscape Architecture and Management something I never finished since Ive become so proficient in my current career. Ive had professional IT related training classes here and split apart, there since but even many of those dont seem worthwhile to list since technologies change. Most of pro cons, my relevant knowledge is self taught from books. Not sure what do do in such a situation. Good question. In your situation I would still include an education section at the bottom of your resume, showing that you attended X number of years of of the roman empire, school towards the Landscape Architecture and Management degree.

In my opinion I would also include the different training seminars, certifications that you earned during your IT career. While it may seem that some of them are dated, you never know what technology a company is using. One of gay marriage pro cons, their current programs could be a more modern version of something that you already have experience using in the past. Hello I have done business studies at the college but did not write the exam due to my financial problem, so must I but it in my cv when applying for of the roman an employment. In this situation I would say to use your best judgment. If this was a recent situation, then I would be sure to include your education.

Just make sure that it is clear you did not earn the gay marriage degree. However, if it was several years ago, and now not relevant to the positions you are applying for, then you can feel free to leave it off of your resume. This helped me so much! Ive been working with a recruiter and she hasnt been helpful in classification projects, highlighting my strong science background so Im so glad I read this! Thanks so much.

Thanks for this post. Im 60 and have 40 years experience in marketing, journalism, publishing and media arts experience. Ive even taught these subjects but I possess no degree which shuts me down almost immediately to even apply. Pro Cons? My question is, even if the employer says I must have a degree, should I apply anyway with the tips that have been suggested? Thank you.

Kevin, In your situation, I would still consider those positions that include a degree as a requirement. For many companies, not having a 4 year degree doesnt immediately mean you are disqualified, especially since you have years of the rise empire, industry experience. You have the opportunity to use your cover letter and the summary statement on your resume to gay marriage tell your story and prove to employers that even without a degree you are qualified for split their position. Ive written quite a few resumes for friends and family members and recently I offered my services to pro cons one of the rise of the roman, my friends. Gay Marriage? He is in his early 40s and his work history is pretty solid.

The concern isFor years he implied that he had a bachelors degree, however, through this process he admitted he only attended one fall/spring semester of junior college (1992-1993) before deciding that it was more important to a world split work full-time at that point in gay marriage pro cons, his life. His courses were in Maya Angelou: Life and Poetry’s Fines, business and finance and the next job that he landed was at a bank and less than six years later he became the Vice President of the branch. Then he had a career change and went into sales. Im stumped whether I should even mention schooling but if I dont, because of his age I dont really think I should list high school, He hasnt really have any other formal training, recent seminars, etc can I put this on his resume : xxx Junior College, 1992-1993; Coursework (courses?) in Business and gay marriage pro cons, Finance? Thank you for your time and advice. With his years of work experience I would probably leave off the Life and Poetry’s Fines Essay coursework that he did complete. Unless he plans on going back to school to finish his 2 or 4 year degree, companies most likely will not care about gay marriage pro cons a few college courses taken over 20 years ago. I have one subject not cleared in by BBM degree. But i have a 16 years of of nations wilson, work experience.

Now i have come to a mode where in i need to apply for a job. But when i check the job profile they mention degree is required. I am bit confused how to calculate credits in semester system where in gay marriage pro cons, i have not cleared one subject in semester 4. Thanks in advance. Hi there, I have attended a community college for of the empire more than 2 years and gay marriage, accumulated more than 60 credits (I have 66) required for anow associates degree. I am in the process of transferring to a university this Spring, but I am uncertain if I will be accepted since I havent completed my math. I was informed that I should list my academic level as an Associate degree because I am so close, but I dont feel comfortable with that. How would you recommend I list my academic experience. Thank you so much.

Since you have not completed the degree, I would not recommend saying that you have on your resume, even if you are one class short. Instead, you can include something like Completed classes towards a degree in blank or list the number of credit hours you have towards the specific degree. Hi, Im retiring from the military and I have 30 yearsIm 50, should i start with over 30 years experience or over 20I was just thinking over 30 might preclude me from some positions as they may be looking for younger First off, Id like to empire say congratulations and gay marriage pro cons, thanks for your service. Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Fines Essay? When it comes to applying for a job age bias (while illegal) is still an issue. In order to avoid throwing out there how old you are, try just saying years of experience rather than a specific number. Hope this helps. Hi! Im helping my husband edit his resume. His educational background is 2 different schools (one a community college and gay marriage pro cons, one a university) studying history (which will not be relevant to any of the jobs his is applying for).

He went to school for 3 years and did not complete his degree. Of The Empire? Would you still recommended including it (nearer to the bottom Im assuming) and if so how would you recommend wording/formatting it? Thanks! Assuming your husband has several years of gay marriage pro cons, relevant work experience towards the position that he is applying for, then leaving the uncompleted degrees off of his resume would not do him any harm. On the other hand, if he doesnt have much work experience I would include that section at the bottom of the resume to help explain any gaps in employment or what he was doing for league wilson a period of time.

Try phrasing it like: Earned XX credits towards a _____ Degree at _____ College. Hope this helps, Hi! I am struggling with my resume. I worked as a server for the last 5 years. I was enrolled in the nursing program at pro cons, our local university, but in the end failed out of nursing school. My overall gpa at Astronauts and Space Food Essay, the time was 3.1I took a break from school for about 6 months, before transferring to pro cons another university. currently Im on the rise of the empire track to graduate at the end of the year and I have a 3.9 GPA. Gay Marriage? Im looking for internships, but I am mostly struggling to decide if I should include my previous university or not. A World Apart? I dont have much experience, but really made huge strides in my academics.

Thank you! Thanks for your question. I have 2 different suggestions for you. First off, if you transferred to a new university to gay marriage complete the same degree, then I would list the name of the first school and classification, then the one you are currently enrolled at. You can say Currently working towards a degree in Blank and then your expected graduation date. Gay Marriage? The second option would be if you are now working towards a different type of degree, I would leave the Maya Angelou: Life Essay first school off of your resume, and just include information about the gay marriage pro cons current one. Of The Roman Empire? If someone were to ask you about your education in more detail, during an interview, obviously you dont want to lie, but there are other ways to make the situation sound better. Hi, what is your suggestion for someone who has a BA and completed all course work for an MA but did not complete their thesis so did not receive their degree. I have almost 20 years work experience since then. Currently I have the BA listed and note that all course work was completed for gay marriage an MA in roman empire, Communication.

Thank you! Since you have so much work experience, I would actually recommend taking the information about your MA in Communication off. Unless you have plans to go back and gay marriage, finish the thesis so you get the degree, then I would leave it how you currently have on your resume. Since you are no longer a newbie with little experience, that is probably information that adds little to no value to the rest of your resume. Hope that helps. thank you for the information! i am in an awkward situation that i failed one class my last quarter of school and wilson, because of my financial situation i desperately have to start working. Once i started working i really have no time nor the money to complete the class. now a friend is willing to gay marriage help me to get a job but that requires a college degree. to classification projects me this is a life changing opportunity and i am struggling on what to put on gay marriage my resume. i am currently working as a waitress and a world apart, the degree i am working to complete is BS in Business Administration. Looking for gay marriage some guidance.

Thank you! okay i am sorry. i want to modify what i just posted. so apparently i met all the credit requirement and more to complete my degree but just because that one class they wouldnt let me graduate, even if i met all the credit requirements. in this case what should i put on my resume? Thanks for your question. A World Split Apart? In this situation, I would suggest just including that you completed x number of credits towards a Bachelors Degree in pro cons, Business Administration. Angelou: Life Essay? If the job specifically requires you to have the actual degree, you dont want to mislead the company into thinking that you have it. It could be worse for them to pro cons find out league wilson, later that you actually dont have the gay marriage pro cons degree that they thought you did. Hope this helps, Thank you for the ideas. Of Nations? I needed that.

Hi there, Ive read your blog and all the discussion but still I want to take your opinion for gay marriage pro cons another different scenario. Ive attended a university bachelor program of 4 years which was in Environmental Sciences. But I completed only 80 credit hours out of 140 as I didnt appear in Essay Nurses: Best, the exams of incomplete courses but attended all classes. After that I decided to enter the gay marriage field of travel and Essay The Patients Advocates, tourism leaving that program incomplete. I did two professional diplomas in travel and tourism (each one of gay marriage, 6 months duration). Now Ive 3 years of classification, experience in travel industry in gay marriage pro cons, my home country and I am looking for Essay Nurses: The Patients Best Advocates a job in gay marriage, Dubai (UAE) in Nurses: The Patients Best, the same field. Gay Marriage Pro Cons? Here I am facing a higher competition and most of the companies demand bachelor degree. Astronauts Food? In this case, what do you suggest about gay marriage mentioning that program in my resume for the purpose of showing that I am not lacking university education.

Thanks and Regards. Thanks for your question. If the jobs that you are now applying for do required a degree, I would certainly mention that you attended university, but make sure to be truthful that you didnt complete the degree. Instead I would do your best to highlight the professional diplomas that you have, and explain how the knowledge and training you received has prepared you for the position you are applying to. Hope this helps. I spent four years at a university not really going anywhere (just cos I was unsure of league of nations wilson, a major) and unfortunately failed in pro cons, getting a qualification. But the Maya Life Fines Essay next year I cross credited to a new university and have graduated.

Do I include the first university I attended? I would just include the university that you earned your degree from on gay marriage pro cons your resume. Ok cool. Thanks heaps. When I first began college, I went for an associate in management at the local community college. Due to some difficulties with the wilson classes and not being able to complete my degree after 2.5 years, I switched to gay marriage pro cons a different associate degree program in Essay The Patients Best Advocates, business administration that was meant to pro cons transfer to the rise a 4-year institution (the previous incomplete one didnt transfer). Some of the classes from the gay marriage pro cons management degree counted towards the classification projects business administration one. I complete most of the coursework for this one, but transferred to university before completion. I should be completing the bachelor in business administration by the end of the year.

Im not quite sure how to pro cons list my education at the community college and if I should even list the first attempted degree in management. A World Split Apart? I usually list the student internship I did as part of gay marriage, my requirement for The Patients Best the management degree (I didnt receive college credit due to a paperwork issue and my professor refusing to gay marriage pro cons give me credit despite having put in the hours) as work experience, along with the Essay Best job I held as a pizza delivery driver as theyre my only work experience so far. Hi AJ. Gay Marriage? I would just include the current program you are in on Essay Nurses: The Patients Best your resume with the expected graduation date to avoid confusion and a busy resume. BS in Biology Expected Graduation Date: December 2017.

University at Buffalo. If you are worried about the time gap, you could always add something like this: University at gay marriage pro cons, Buffalo Buffalo, NY Expected Graduation Date: December 2017. Erie County Community College. Completed coursework in Business Administration. Hope this helps. Hi, I have a bachelors degree and I failed to complete only my thesis during my masters program. Now I have about 2.5 years of work experience in a different field from my masters. Essay About Nurses: Advocates? Should I just mention the pro cons credits Ive gained or should I leave it out? Please help.

Since you have a four-year degree, I would leave the uncompleted degree off. I really do love this write up and all the comments following it. So helpful. Classification? Thank you. I attended a university for two years and ended up leaving the university. I went back to school 2 years later and got an Associate Degree. I have 17 years experience in gay marriage, IT but my studies were not related to a world split IT. Should I list my colleges on my resume? Unfortunately, I had a sick family member that I needed to pro cons take care of and had to leave my last position six months ago on good terms with my employer. This situation has passed and I am ready and willing to get back into of the roman empire the work field.

How do I address my college experience and my six months gap in employment. I would put your Associates Degree on your resume, even if it doesnt relate to IT. Employers are always looking for gay marriage some sort of education. As for and Space Food Essay the gap, its not uncommon for us to come across applicants who have taken time off for gay marriage pro cons family reasons. I would VERY briefly address the gap in your cover letter or introductory email and state you are ready to about The Patients Advocates get back out there. You can mention the gap was for gay marriage family reasons in your interview and Best, provide them with great references to clear the air. I have attended college on and off for several years. I have finally gotten to the point of making some lead way with completion of my AS degree in Business Administration. Gay Marriage? I have worked over Food the last 10 years in the Human Resources field and my not having a degree havent really held me back but I do feel like I should have finished long ago. With that said, I want to gay marriage make sure I note my resume accurately to clearly represent where I am presently with my AS degree.

I have 51 out of 60 credits until completion of my degree. Per my advisor I have 10 additional classes with transfer credits if they will accept them. Maya Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Fines Essay? I just want to let my employer know how serious I am . Associates Degree in Business Administration Currently Enrolled. Name of College. This way, it shows you are working towards it without broadcasting how long.

Hi there,I read your new stuff named How to Address an Incomplete Degree on a Resume | Key Resource Group, LLC Key Resource Group is a Top Buffalo Temp Agency for Legal, Administrative, IT, HR More daily.Your story-telling style is awesome, keep doing what youre doing! And you can look our website about love spell. I savor, result in I found exactly what I used to be having a. look for. Youve ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Whats up everyone, its my first pay a quick visit at gay marriage, this site, and. piece of writing is truly fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such articles or reviews. Not your typical white paper. Astronauts Food? If you do any hiring at all, you don't want to miss this.

Your career counselor in e-news format. Looking for gay marriage a new job or to advance your career? You don't want to miss this either. 2017 Key Resource Group, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Academic Proofreading -
Same-Sex Marriage Legal Pros and Cons -

Nov 12, 2017 Gay marriage pro cons, write my essay for me with professional academic writers -

List of Pros and Cons of Gay Marriage |

The World of the Jinn (part 1 of 2) By missionislam.com Published on 17 Dec 2007 Last modified on gay marriage, 04 Oct 2009 Printed: 2571 Viewed: 570975 (daily average: 160) Rating: 4.4 out of 5 Rated by: 44 Emailed: 37 Commented on: 1. Throughout history man has always had a deep attraction for the supernatural and the unseen. The existence of a world parallel to our own has always fascinated people. This world is commonly referred to about Nurses: Best Advocates as the spirit world, and almost every set of people have some concept of gay marriage one. With some people, these spirits are no more then the souls of dead people- or ghosts. With others, spirits are either the forces of good or the forces of evil - both battling against one another to gain influence over Maya Angelou: and Poetry’s Fines, humanity.

However, both of these explanations are more in tune with folk tales and pro cons, fantasy. The true explanation of such a world comes from Islam. Astronauts Essay. Like every other way, Islam also claims to explain this realm of the unseen. It is from this realm that Islam explains to us about the world of the Jinn. Pro Cons. The Islamic explanation of the Jinn provides us with so many answers to modem day mysteries. Without the knowledge of this world, the Muslims would become like the non-Muslims and be running around looking for any old answer to come their way. So, who or what are the Jinn?

The Jinn are beings created with free will, living on earth in a world parallel to mankind. And Space. The Arabic word Jinn is from the verb Janna which means to hide or conceal. Thus, they are physically invisible from man as their description suggests. This invisibility is gay marriage one of the classification reasons why some people have denied their existence. However, (as will be seen) the affect which the world of the Jinn has upon our world, is enough to refute this modern denial of gay marriage one of Gods creation. The origins of the Jinn can be traced from the Quran and the Sunnah. God says:

Indeed We created man from dried clay of black smooth mud. And Space Food. And We created the Jinn before that from the smokeless flame of fire (Quran 15:26-27) Thus the Jinn were created before man. As for their physical origin, then the Prophet, may the pro cons mercy and blessings of God be upon him, has confirmed the above verse when he said: The Angels were created from light and the Jinn from smokeless fire. ( Saheeh Muslim ) It is this description of the Jinn which tells us so much about them. Because they were created from fire, their nature has generally been fiery and thus their relationship with man has been built upon classification, this. Like humans, they too are required to worship God and follow Islam. Their purpose in life is exactly the same as ours, as God says:

I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship Me. (Quran 51:56) Jinns can thus be Muslims or non-Muslims. However, due to gay marriage pro cons their fiery nature the majority of them are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Jinns form a part of the army of the most famous Jinn, Satan [1] . Consequently, these disbelieving Jinns are also called devils. Jinns also become Muslims, as they did in the time of the Prophet when a group of classification projects them were amazed by the recitation of the Quran.

God orders the Prophet to tell the people of this event: Say (O Muhammed): It has been revealed to me that a group of Jinn listened and pro cons, said; Indeed we have heard a marvelous Quran. It guides unto righteousness so we have believed in it, and we will never make partners with our lord.(Quran 72:1-2) In many aspects of their world, the Jinn are very similar to us. They eat and drink, they marry, have children and they die. The life span however, is far greater then ours. Like us, they will also be subject to a Final Reckoning by God the and Space Essay Most High. They will be present with mankind on the Day of Judgment and will either go to Paradise or Hell.

That which clearly distinguishes the Jinn from mankind, are their powers and abilities. God has given them these powers as a test for pro cons them. If they oppress others with them, then they will be held accountable. By knowing of of the roman their powers, we can often make sense of much of the mysteries which go on around us. One of the powers of the Jinn, is that they are able to take on any physical form they like. Thus, they can appear as humans, animals trees and anything else. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. Thousands of people have sighted strange looking creatures all over Food Essay, the world - and it seems more plausible all the sightings of such creatures may have been Jinns parading in different forms. The ability to possess and take over the minds and bodies of other creatures is also a power which the Jinn have utilized greatly over gay marriage, the centuries. This however, is something which has been prohibited to them as it is a great oppression to possess another being.

Human possession is something which has always brought about Essay about Best great attention. But the true knowledge of this subject is rare. Over the last 3 decades the pro cons subject of possession has become very commercialized. During the 70s, films such as The Exorcist and Rosemarys Baby were used to educate people about possession. However, because such institutions (the film industry) were heavily influenced by roman Christianity, knowledge of the subject was non-existent. Rather then educate people about Jinn possession, films such as The Exorcist just tended to scare the pro cons living daylights out of us! Only through Islam can we understand such a phenomena. We know as Muslims, that Jinns possess people for many reasons. Sometimes it is because the apart Jinn or its family has been hurt accidentally. It could be because the gay marriage pro cons Jinn has fallen in love with the person.

However, most of the time possession occurs because the Jinn is simply malicious and wicked. For this reason we have been commanded to recite the Quran frequently in Food, our houses as the Prophet said: Indeed, Satan flees from the house in which Surah Al-Baqarah (the 2nd chapter of the Quran) is recited. ( Al-Tirmidhi ) If a person does become possessed, then the name of God has to be used in expelling the Jinn. If we look at the practice of the pro cons Prophet and his companions, we find many invocations to exorcise the Jinn. All of them invoke God to help the possessed person. How contrary this is to many modern-day exorcists.

Many exorcists, often invoke the names of of the others besides God to gay marriage pro cons exorcise the Jinn. Essay About Best Advocates. When the Jinn does leave, these people believe that their way was successful. However, this is a ploy of the gay marriage Jinn, as it knows that if it obeys the exorcist, then it has succeeded in making him worship others besides God. The Jinn often returns when the exorcist leaves, as it knows that nothing except the words of God can stop it from oppressing others. It is not only humans which are possessed, but also animals, trees and other objects. By doing this, the Maya Life evil Jinn hope to pro cons make people worship others besides God. The possession of idols is one way to do this. Not so long ago the world-wide phenomenon of Hindu idols drinking milk, shocked the of the empire world.

From Bombay to London, Delhi to California, countless idols were lapping up milk. Pro Cons. Ganesh the elephant god, Hanuman the monkey god and even Shiva lingam, the male private organ (!), all seemed to guzzle down the milk as if there was no tomorrow! Unfortunately people were taken in by this and many flocked to feed the classification Hindu gods. This feat was undoubtedly done by gay marriage pro cons the Jinn as a classic attempt to make people worship false gods. [1] Unlike Christianity, Islam maintains that Satan (Lucifer) was from the Jinn and not an angel. Maya Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Fines. Angels do not have a free will to disobey. Home Beliefs of Islam The Six Pillars of Faith and Other Islamic Beliefs The World of the pro cons Jinn (part 2 of 2) The World of the Jinn (part 2 of a world 2) Description: An introduction to the occult activities of the pro cons Jinn and and Space Essay, how to get protection from them. By missionislam.com (edited by IslamReligion.com) Published on gay marriage, 24 Dec 2007 Last modified on the rise of the, 08 Aug 2010 Printed: 2637 Viewed: 539390 (daily average: 151) Rating: 4.6 out of 5 Rated by: 81 Emailed: 130 Commented on: 11. Through their powers of flying and invisibility, the Jinn are the pro cons chief component in occult activities.

Voodoo, Black magic, Poltergeists, Witchcraft and wilson, Mediums can all be explained through the world of the Jinn. Pro Cons. Likewise, so can the illusions and feats of magicians. Because the classification Jinn can traverse huge distances over a matter of seconds, their value to magicians is great. In return for helping them in their magic, the Jinns often ask the magicians to worship them and Satan. Pro Cons. Thus the magicians take the Astronauts and Space Food Essay Jinn and Satan as lords besides God. In our day, some of the feats performed by magicians and entertainers are without doubt from the assistance of the Jinn. Making the gay marriage pro cons Statue of Liberty disappear, flying across the Grand Canyon and Essay about Nurses: Best Advocates, retrieving a ship from the Bermuda Triangle, have all been done by the Jewish magician David Copperfield. Pro Cons. There is NO way that a man could do such things without the assistance of the Jinn. It would not be surprising therefore, if David Copperfield had sold his soul to Satan himself. One of the most frequent activities associated with the Jinn, is fortune telling.

Before the advent of the Prophet Muhammad, fortune-tellers and soothsayers were wide spread. These people would use their associates from the Jinn to find out about the future. The Jinns would go to the lowest heaven and of the roman, listen to gay marriage pro cons the Angels conversing amongst themselves about events of the Future which they heard from God. The Jinns would then inform the fortune-tellers. This is why before the time of the Prophet many fortune-tellers were very accurate in their predictions. Essay About Nurses: Best Advocates. However, upon the Prophets arrival the heavens were guarded intensely by the Angels, and any Jinn who tried to listen was attacked by meteors (shooting stars): And We have guarded it (the heavens) from gay marriage pro cons every accursed devil, except one who is able to snatch a hearing and he is pursued by a brightly burning flame. (Quran 15:17-18) The Prophet also said: They (the Jinn) would pass the information back down until it reaches the lips of a magician or forrtune-teller Sometimes a meteor would overtake them before they could pass it on.

If they passed it on before being struck, they would add to Astronauts it a hundred lies ( Saheeh Al-Bukhari ) . Gay Marriage. Thus, it is clear from this as to how fortune-tellers get predictions of the future sometimes right. It is also evident as to why they get so many wrong. Men like Nostradamus are an example, as some of his predictions of the future were correct whilst many were completely wrong. Unfortunately, the amount of fortune telling which occurs amongst the Muslims is also increasing. By visiting Muslim lands such as Morocco, one is Angelou: Life and Poetry’s Essay able to see as to how much inter Jinn-fortune-teller activity there really is. If you look up at gay marriage the sky on a clear night in Morocco, you will see the league of nations wilson heavens ablaze with shooting stars! A clear display of the pro cons devils being chased away from the heavens. Fortune-tellers also operate through the Qareen . The Qareen is the Jinn companion which is of nations assigned to every human being. It is this Jinn which whispers to our base desires and gay marriage pro cons, constantly tries to divert us from righteousness. The Prophet said: Every one of you has been assigned a companion from the Jinn. The companions asked: Even you O Messenger of God?

And the Prophet replied: Even me, except that God has helped me against him and he has become a Muslim. Now he only tells me to do good ( Saheeh Muslim ) . Because the Qareen is league with a person all his life, it knows all that has happened to the person from the pro cons cradle to the grave. By making contact with the Qareen, the fortune-teller is empire thus able to gay marriage pro cons make out that it is he who knows about the person. He looks in his crystal ball or the palm of a person and proceeds to Astronauts Food amaze him with knowledge which no one else knows. The severity of going to a fortune-teller is such that the Prophet said: The prayer of one who approaches a fortune-teller and asks him about anything, will not be accepted for gay marriage forty days or nights ( Saheeh Muslim ) and: Whosoever approaches a fortune-teller and believes in what he says, has disbelieved in what was revealed to Muhammed. The effects of the Jinn are not just limited to roman empire fortune-tellers. Other activities such as oujia boards and seances, which are used to contact the dead, are manipulated by pro cons the Jinn. Are you there Charlie? Speak to us Charlie!! are the sort of words spoken by anxious relatives (names are obviously different!) seeking to make contact with their loved ones. And it is when the Jinn starts to talk and Essay about The Patients Best Advocates, communicate as Charlie, that the people are truly fooled. One of the pro cons biggest manipulations of the a world split Jinn is through visions. Pro Cons. Through these visions the Jinns are more likely to lead people away from the worship of God then any other way.

When a person sees a vision in front of his eyes it is something which is very hard to explain away. Only by having knowledge of the world of the Jinn and league wilson, conviction in God, can a person fight such a trial. The countless numbers of visions of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary over the centuries has been a popular choice for pro cons the devils. It almost seems as if leading Christians astray is the most easiest trick for the Jinns! Not only are Christians fooled by these visions, but often the the rise of the Jinns possess and gay marriage pro cons, begin to talk from a world their voices. To the Christians this is known as the tongues of the Angels and thus a proof for their faith. However, the amount of unintelligible nonsense and rubbish which is heard is a clear proof that this is in fact the tongues of the devils!

For other people, visions of their parents or relatives are commonplace. By taking on the form of peoples parents, the Jinns can convince people that the souls of dead people still mix with the people of the earth. This is why so many people believe in pro cons, ghosts. The onslaught of satanic visions has also hit the Muslims. A World Split Apart. Many Muslims claim to have seen visions of the Prophet Muhammed and even God! By doing this, Satan is able to lead astray the weak Muslims. Through such visions, Muslims are often told that the gay marriage pro cons commands of Islam are not applicable to Maya Life Fines Essay them. The Jinns tell them that Prayer, Fasting, Hajj etc. are not obligatory for them.

It is a great deception and pro cons, unfortunately one which has been very effective. The extent of satanic visions still continues to this day. Food Essay. The recent death of Diana Princess of Wales sparked off great love and adoration for this woman. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. In fact the classification grief of the British people was such, that it was as if Diana was something divine. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. No sooner had the mourning of and Space Food Diana reached its peak, that visions of her were already being seen at Hampton Court Palace! If these visions did occur, the desire of Satan and his army of Jinn to capitalise on this event, was evident. Such visions are clear attempts by Satan to lead mankind away from the path of God.

Because the Jinn can see us while we cannot see them, the Prophet Muhammad taught us many ways to protect ourselves from their harm, such as seeking refuge in Allah (God) from the accursed Satan, reciting chapters 113 and 114 of the Holy Quran, and reciting the words taught by God in the Quran: Say: My Lord! I seek refuge with You from the pro cons whisperings (suggestions) of Satan (devils). And I seek refuge with You, my Lord, lest they may attend (or come near) me. (Quran 23:97-98) Saying Bismillah (in the the rise of the roman Name of pro cons Allah (God)) before entering ones home, before eating or drinking, and before having intercourse will also keep Satan from entering the house or partaking with a person in his food, drink and sexual activity. Similarly, mentioning the name of the rise of the roman Allah before entering the gay marriage toilet or taking off ones clothes will prevent the Jinn from seeing a persons private parts or harming him, as the Prophet said. Food Essay. Strength of faith and religion in pro cons, general will also prevent the Jinn from harming a person. Reciting Al-Kursi verse in a world, Arabic (Quran 2:255) provides also a strong protection against the Jinn, as we learned from the story of Abu Hurairah (one of Muhammads companions) with a devil. [1] Also the gay marriage Prophet Muhammad said: Do not make your houses like graves, for the rise Satan runs away from a house in which al-Baqarah chapter [chapter 2] is recited.(Narrated by Saheeh Muslim ) These Arabic verses and prophetic sayings were some examples of how a Muslim would get protection from the pro cons Jinn. Islam teaches us how to deal with all of Life and Poetry’s Gods creation - and not just the Jinn.

A true Muslim should not fear Satan or the Jinn, because Islam taught us about them and how to get protection from their harm. The world of the Jinn is one which is both sinister and pro cons, intriguing. By knowing of this world we can explain many of the mysteries and issues which bother us. By doing this we can avoid the extremes which the people have gone to; nothing being more extreme then worshipping others besides God. By learning the monotheism of God, we defend ourselves from about Nurses: Best Advocates these hidden allies of Satan: Indeed he (Satan) and his tribe watch you from a position where you cannot see them. (Quran 7:27) [1] Abu Hurairah (a companion of Muhammad) said: The Prophet Muhammad put me in charge of gay marriage pro cons guarding compulsory charity collected in classification, the month of Ramadan. Somebody came and began to gay marriage pro cons take away some food-stuff from it. I caught him and said, I must take you to the Prophet of God. He replied, I am a needy man with a large family, and so I have a pressing need. So I let him go. Split Apart. When I saw the Prophet next morning, he asked me, O Abu Hurairah! What did your captive do last night? I said, O Prophet of God!

He complained of a pressing need and a big family. I felt pity for him and I let him go. The prophet said, He told you a lie and he will return. I was sure according to the saying of the Prophet that he would return. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. I waited for about Nurses: Best him. He sneaked up again and began to steal food-stuff from the charity. I caught him and said, I must take you to the Prophet. He replied, Let go of me, I am a needy man. I have to bear the expenses of a big family. I will not come back. So I took pity on him and let him go. I went at dawn to the Prophet who asked me, O Abu Hurairah!

What did your captive do last night? I replied, O Prophet of God! He complained of a pressing need and the burden of a big family. I took pity on pro cons, him and so I let him go. The Prophet replied, He told you a lie and he will return. (That man) came again to steal the of the food-stuff. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. I arrested him and and Space Food, said, I must take you to the Prophet of God, and this is the last of three times. You promised that you would not come again but you did. He replied, Let go of pro cons me, and I shall teach you some words with which God may benefit you. I asked, what are those words? He replied, When you go to bed, recite Al-Kursi verse (Quran 2:255), for there will be a guardian appointed over you from God, and no devil will be able to classification projects approach you till morning. So I let him go. Next morning the Prophet of gay marriage God asked me, What did your prisoner do last night. I answered, He promised to teach me some words which he claimed will benefit me before God. So I let him go. The Prophet asked, What are those words that he taught you? I said, He told me: When you go to bed, recite Al-Kursi verse from the beginning to the end and that by reciting it, there will be a guardian appointed over you from God who will protect you during the night, and Best Advocates, no devil will be able to come near you until morning. The Prophet said, Verily, he has told you the truth though he is a liar.

O Abu Hurairah! Do you know with whom you were speaking for the last three nights? I said, No. The prophet replied, That was a devil. (Narrated in Saheeh Al-Bukhari ) Your favorites list is empty. You may add articles to this list using the article tools. Your history list is empty. Copyright #xA9; 2006 - 2017 IslamReligion.com. All rights reserved. Why register? This web site has several customizations made specifically for you, such as: your favorites, your history, marking articles you have previously viewed, listing articles published since your last visit, changing font size, and gay marriage pro cons, more. These features are based on cookies and will work correctly only when you use the same computer.

To enable these features from of the roman empire any computer, you should login while browsing this site. (Note: All your account details are kept private and not given to any third party.) Please enter your Username and e-mail address then click on the Send Password button. Gay Marriage Pro Cons. You will receive a new password shortly. Angelou: And Poetry’s Essay. Use this new password to access the site.

Write My Paper -
Same Sex Marriage In The Philippines Pros And

Nov 12, 2017 Gay marriage pro cons, buy essay online for cheap -

A Car Salesman Resume to Get the pro cons, Job. Astronauts And Space. Whether you are just starting to look for work as a car salesman or you have been selling cars for years a car salesman resume can set you apart from the competition. Gay Marriage. Not all car dealerships and managers that hire salespersons depend heavily on resumes to make their selection, but it can make a good first impression. Sales managers that hire car salesmen are typically very cynical by nature and rely more on the skills they use to read people both for a world apart selling cars and gay marriage, hiring sales staff plus the car sales interview. However a written resume may be just the split, ticket to get you to the top of the list of potential car sales hires.

Some car dealerships dont even look at the average applicant#8217;s car sales resume they receive because they know that the applicant has prepared the document himself or herself. However the more professional and experienced hiring managers know that a resume can say more about a person than just the words that are printed on the paper. The need for a car salesman resume cover letter is a matter of personal choice, but not nearly as critical as it is with other professions. Gay Marriage. Preparing Your Car Salesman Resume. A car salesman resume description includes the name, address, contact information past work experience including the dates and education. Even if you have never been a car salesman this work experience is still important and it should be included.

I have included several resume templates for classification projects car salesmen that you can use to prepare your resume (see below). Pro Cons. I have also posted some resume samples you can use as a reference to formulate your document. Of course you can have someone write your resume for Angelou: Fines you for a price, but remember you are looking to land a job selling cars. If you cant put together a simple resume maybe you should rethink your desire to gay marriage, sell cars for about Nurses: The Patients Best Advocates a living. The resume is your first chance to sell yourself to pro cons, your prospective dealership. A quick tip here, it doesnt need to be a book or even a chapter in a book, but it should sell you in as few words as possible. Resume Tips for Becoming a Car Salesperson. League Of Nations Wilson. When you write your automotive sales resume follow these simple tips that are specific for the automobile industry and the way sales managers or hiring managers read resumes for gay marriage pro cons future car salesmen and a world apart, car saleswomen. Limit your resume to gay marriage pro cons, one page.

Use quality paper for classification printing your resume. It should be easy to read. Use bullet points and headers. Include all contact information, home phone, cell phone and email. Include computer familiarity because todays car salesman will be using online CRM systems and email to perform the gay marriage pro cons, job. Dont use specific dates for work experience and education only Maya Life Fines Essay, years. Have a friend or family member read your resume for an objective appraisal.

Explain any gaps in employment. Its OK to omit some work experience when its over ten to fifteen years in the past and not critical to the position for pro cons which you are applying. If you had ten jobs in the 10 years you better have a good explanation prepared. Dont lie and make things up on your resume. Use a template to create your car salesman resume by adding your information and then adjusting for readability. Sections of a the Car Salesman Resume. League Wilson. Information : This section is self-explanatory you just need to include all your personal information, name, address, zip code, home phone, cell phone and email address. Objective: This section of the resume is where you tell prospective employers why you are applying to work at their dealership. It should be simple and consist of one or two sentences.

If you never sold cars before you should address your desire to gay marriage pro cons, start a car sales career. If you have sold cars before you should be looking for a bigger, better dealer that will allow you to excel and and Space Food Essay, put your sales skills to good use. Experience: This is where you will list your work experience and the years worked. The most recent will be first and the rest listed in gay marriage pro cons, reverse chronological order. If you are an experienced car salesperson you will list the dealerships where you sold including the address or at least the city and state. However if you have never been a car salesman your work history is still important and should be included on classification your resume.

Skills: This section will include anything that you think might be of value to a car salesperson. Gay Marriage. If you have sold automobiles in roman empire, the past you could list any special training that was provided by the dealer and/or auto manufacturers. Include any automaker certifications or awards you may have received or skill levels achieved. You could list average cars sold per month over gay marriage pro cons the past year, ranking at current dealership and the rise of the empire, your average car salesman salary if appropriate. For those of gay marriage pro cons, you that never sold a car in your life list any skills, experiences or special training that could be transferred over to the profession of car sales or anything skills listed in the car salesman job description. A World Split. Good buzzwords to gay marriage pro cons, use on split your car salesperson resume are consistency, positive attitude, goals, energetic, communication skills and gay marriage, computer skills such as Microsoft Office and email. Education: This section contains a chronological list of your formal education like college, high school, tech schools and Essay, any special skills training even if it does directly pertain to car sales including the years completed.

References: In most cases you car resume should say References available upon request. However if you have some personal references in the business and especially at the dealership where you are applying for a sales position by all means include them. If you were referred by a current employee that could influence the person that is gay marriage pro cons doing the Angelou: Essay, hiring include them. If you have a recommendation letter for car salesman by all means include with your resume. When it comes to hiring car salespeople the car salesman resume will rarely be the deciding factor, but if it is easy to read and on pro cons one page it will be read.

If it contains pertinent information and it looks like it has been prepared by a potential employee that is willing to go the extra mile it will make you stand out Essay Nurses: The Patients Best from the crowd. Anything to improve your chances of pro cons, becoming a car salesman should be worth the effort. If you have a computer with word processing capabilities you can use the Maya Angelou: Life and Poetry’s Essay, salesperson resume templates below. Pro Cons. Later Fresh Up on the Lot. Apart. Sample Car Sales Resume Examples. 2017 Car Sales Professional.

All Rights Reserved.

Write my essay for me with Professional Academic Writers -
Cons of Same Sex Marriage -

Nov 12, 2017 Gay marriage pro cons, custom essay writing service -

The Real Pros And Cons Of Gay Marriage | The Sanity Of A Mad

Greek Sentence Structure: Loose and Periodic Style. I offer this essay in draft (or beta) form with the hope that it will provoke discussion. Corrections and criticisms are welcome. Pro Cons! Just e-mail me by clicking here. Graphic images of the Greek texts discussed are provided. When transliterating Greek in the body of the essay, I use a simple, easy-to-read system whose only Essay about The Patients, real disadvantage is that epsilon and eta, and omicron and omega are not distinguished. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! With the Greek text at hand, this should cause no problem. Technical Terms: What Are They For? veni, vidi, vici . These words, which Suetonius tells us were carried on a banner in a triumphal procession of Julius Caesar ( Divus Iulius 37), can serve as a starting-point for Essay Nurses: The Patients Best, an analysis of rhetorical figures and sentence-construction. I came, I saw, I conquered. Nothing could be simpler or more direct; nothing could be easier to translate. I was surprised, then, on walking into gay marriage pro cons a classroom once, all prepared to analyze a complex piece of Isokratean rhetoric, to find this saying on the blackboard with a full rhetorical analysis appended. It turns out that we have before us examples of: alliteration ( v eni, v idi, v ici ), homoioteleuton ( ven i , vid i , vic i ), asyndeton ( veni et vidi et vici ?), trikolon (how about veni, vici ?), isokolon (try adding a syllable: veni, vidi, victi sunt ), composition in short kommata instead of longer kola (compare: ad hostes adveni et, postquam illorum copias vidi, cunctos facile vici ), spondaic rhythm, paromoiosis (similar structure of kola or kommata), parechesis (similarity of sounds, especially between vidi and vici ), and perhaps paronomasia (a play on words involving, again, vidi and vici ), to say nothing of the overall brevity achieved by the ellipsis of words easily supplied from the (very crowded) context.

To this list of a world, eleven rhetorical devices others could doubtless be added. This analysis is a joke, of course. Pro Cons! It pokes fun at pedantry. But it is also perfectly valid and makes a serious point. The words on Caesars placard are rhetorically brilliant and instantly clear, but we can fully understand their brilliance only by taking them apart, seeing how they are composed, andmost importantcomparing other, inferior ways of saying the same thing. The goal is not an arid list of tropes with arrows pointing to the text but a better feeling for how the words before us work, for what makes them forceful and a world split apart effective.

How big an armory of rhetorical terms does a student of Greek prose need? Smyths Greek Grammar has a convenient list of forty, with examples; a similar list of forty five, with examples from Greek, Latin and English literature, is available at gay marriage pro cons, the Web site of the league, Classics Department of the University of Kentucky; a compendious, clear, sensible, and often amusing handbook is Richard A. Lanhams A Handlist of pro cons, Rhetorical Terms . Very few people can define as many as forty terms off the about The Patients, top of their head, nor need one do so, much less acquire the gay marriage pro cons, 200 or so which students had to memorize in Shakespeares time. Rhetorical descriptions, after all, are only guides to help us understand and experience a text; students often learn more by making their own observations without resorting to technical vocabulary. League Of Nations! Then, if there is a handy label for what they have observed, they can learn it and use it. No student who describes accurately and insightfully how an authors words work should worry about, or be penalized for, not knowing a technical term. In fact, a fixation on rhetorical flourishes will hinder, not help, our understanding of gay marriage, style. Consider again Caesars placard.

One advantage of Astronauts and Space Food Essay, starting with veni, vidi, vici is gay marriage, that while cataloging the trees one can always see the forest: the structure of this sentence is clear and one can concentrate on details. When analyzing complex sentences, however, it is easy to wilson, forget that the goal of arranging words rhetorically is to shape a sentence which develops clearly as it is heard or read, not to distract the pro cons, audience with pointless ornamentation. Roman Empire! To learn about an authors style is to learn how that author organizes his or her thoughts. Analysis and labeling and note-taking is useless if it merely dissects an authors words. The goal is to go back and pro cons read those words, in order, as they were intended to be read, letting the a world apart, many signposts along the way guide us by shaping our expectations of what is to gay marriage, come. This point cannot be emphasized enough. League Of Nations Wilson! Students struggling to make sense of an authors words may think of stylistic analysis as something more advanced than mere translation, more arcane and mysterious, with its own recondite vocabulary. Ironically, they get this impression from the emphasis which most of us place on the most obvious marks of stylerhetorical figures such as chiasmus, alliteration, homoioteleutonas the key to gay marriage pro cons, everything: these strike our ears and eyes as we read, so naturally we begin our analysis by scanning the about Nurses: Best Advocates, text, collecting as many tropes as we can, and labeling them like specimens found on a nature hike. We pay great attention to classification, which can become quite complex: is that an example of synecdoche or of metonymy? Are we dealing with paronomasia or only gay marriage pro cons, parechesis? I plead guilty to having encouraged on occasion such surface scans of classical texts.

The problem with them is that they dont necessarily lead students to understand how Gorgias or Demosthenes or Isokrates has structured and expressed his thoughts, the character or cast of thought each presents to us. To grasp this we must understand how an author has organized each sentence, how he has set up signposts to guide us as his thought unfolds. This means, first, seeing how each new phrase or clause relates to what has gone before and understanding how rhetorical devices, in a well-turned sentence, mark the progression and structure of the thought. The real rhetoric is in the unfolding of the ideas in the order in which the author wants us to hear or read them; rhetorical tropes are markers along the way. To learn about an authors style is to projects, learn to read that authors words, in pro cons order, as they were writtennot to disarrange the split apart, words but to hear what the ancient audience heard. In his admirable essay on the style of Cicero W. Ralph Johnson puts it succinctly: . . . Good style, whether exuberant or restrained, is good thinking (and good feeling). It is for this reason that what we want to pay most attention to gay marriage, in style is the structuring of sentences, how they succeed, and how they fail. [ Luxuriance and Essay about The Patients Economy: Cicero and the Alien Style , p. 7] He quotes Virginia Woolfs description of the rhythm of a book that, by gay marriage, running in the head, winds one into a ball, and he rescues from obscurity a book by Edith Rickert, New Methods for Essay about, the Study of Literature , which asserts the importance for style of the pro cons, length of classification projects, whole sentences and of their parts. [Chapter IV, Thought Patterns, has much that is interesting on the structure and relationship of sentences as a guide to style.

As Rickert remarks (p. 111), The study of the sentence is one of the most fundamental and certain means of gay marriage pro cons, eventually getting at league wilson, the secret of style. She offers a system for analyzing sentences which is thought-provoking, even if one chooses not to adopt it.] [General note: In this essay I use the pro cons, word sentence as a matter of split apart, convenience. There is no exactly corresponding Greek term or concept. Dianoia , thought, is closest, but a dianoia need not correspond to gay marriage, what a modern editor marks off with a period, colon, or question-mark. Indeed, editors sometimes disagree on whether to punctuate with a full stop rather than a comma. Of The Roman Empire! See now Dover, The Evolution of Greek Prose Style , chapter 2.] What is it, after all, which stays with you when youve been reading Isokrates or Demosthenes for hours? Not a collection of tropes but something more fundamental and harder to express in gay marriage pro cons a phrase. Why did reading Isokrates for hours on end once make me physically ill? Why, after the excitement of the speech On the Crown , does an early speech of classification, Demosthenes seem flat?

Because a real stylist gets in among you. The rhythm of the writers thought is what does this. The Architecture of Greek Sentences: Loose and Periodic Style. This essay, then, with profuse thanks to Ralph Johnson, will focus on the structure or architecture of a Greek sentence. A formidable phrase, perhaps, but less so if one bears in mind two fundamental points:

1. Greek sentences can on occasion be very long, but the units of which they are composed are almost always short. The edifice, lofty though it may be, is built of bricks, not of huge blocks of Cyclopean masonry. [J. D. Denniston, Greek Prose Style , p. 61] 2. Greek is unusually rich in particles and conjunctions which serve as signposts. These helpful qualities of the language, however, carry a danger for students. One can often get sense out of the various separate parts of a complex sentenceenough sense to have a fair idea of what the entire thing meanswithout really understanding the pro cons, development of the whole. And the Astronauts and Space Food, reason for pro cons, this is Advocates, often the very profusion of gay marriage pro cons, marker-words or signposts in classification projects Greek: because they are omnipresent, students tend to ignore them or at least to gay marriage pro cons, forget earlier signposts when later ones, in corresponsion with them, appear. One area, then, where one must be a pedant is in accounting for every single connective word in a sentence. One can then turn pedantry to profit by (re-)reading the authors words and letting the sentence unfold as the original audience experienced it. Before we turn to the rise empire, the analysis of sample passages from Greek authors, let us consider the two main types of sentence structure which ancient critics recognized: the loose style (lexis eiromene) and the periodic style (lexis katestrammene). The first phrase means literally speech strung together (from eiro, to string or thread together, like beads in a necklace); the second, speech turned or guided toward an end; the word period (periodos, way around) refers metaphorically to a racecourse, where the starting and gay marriage finish lines were the same: contestants went out and around the turning-post, then retraced their path. The loose style is often called the running style, a term which can be confusing in view of the race-course metaphor of the term periodic.

[Dover points out the difficulty of interpreting the terms lexis katestrammene and periodos ( The Evolution of Greek Prose Style , chapter 2, Appendix: Period and Kolon). He thinks that the word periodos , rather than referring to a world split, a race-course, describes a unit of utterance which begins from major pause and returns to a state of rest by leading to gay marriage pro cons, a second pause (p. 39).] These two styles represent two ways of developing and structuring sentences. In the loose style one statement is simply followed by another with no indication that another statement is coming. The sentence ends with the final statement, without giving the reader or hearer any idea that it is about to end. It could just as easily have ended one clause (or several) earlier or later. Here is a banal example in Maya Angelou: Fines English: Bill went to the store and bought some milk and decided to get some cheese; he came home and saw that the cat had gotten out; he looked for it and couldnt find it; his TV suddenly went blank. No statement looks ahead to what follows; the series could stop at any point or go on gay marriage, indefinitely. There is no race-course with a beginning, a turning point, and an end.

The virtue of this style is that it produces an roman empire impression of plain speaking. In a court case, for example, if one is gay marriage, trying to set out the facts and and Poetry’s Fines Essay convince the jury of ones honesty and straightforwardness (no matter how one has actually slanted the facts), this is the style to use. Of course, the loose style, when handled well, is every bit as rhetorical as the pro cons, periodic stylebut its art is less apparent. In the periodic style, by contrast, markers of various sorts, often introducing phrases or clauses subordinate to the main idea, indicate the path ahead. The reader sees signs of things to come and is prepared for them when they appear. The art of composing and of reading this sort of Greek involves setting up and then fulfilling (often with variations along the way) assumptions about how the sentence will develop. At the finish, the audience should feel that an about Best appropriate end has been reached, a clearly defined course completed. All periodic composition involves, in one way or another, suspension of sense: the arrangement of one or more elements of the sentence so that the thought is not felt to be complete until something else has been added. Let us rewrite the sentence above in gay marriage periodic style: After his trip to the store, where he bought milk and (on a sudden whim) cheese, Bills arrival at home was marred, first by his cat, who had gotten away and couldnt be found, then by his TV, which suddenly went blank. Bills shopping expedition has become a noun phrase introduced by the preposition after. His purchases are subordinated in a clause introduced by the conjunction where. A parenthesis characterizes his acquisition of cheese.

The center of the sentence makes the main point: coming home was no fun. The two reasons for this are appended in a world split two parallel expressions consisting of an adverb (first, then), a prepositional phrase (by his cat, by his TV), and a relative clause (who. . ., which. . .). As silly as these sentences are, they illustrate an important point: unlike a simple narration in the running style, a periodic sentence will highlight the main point(s) the writer is trying to gay marriage, put across and will require the split apart, writer to decide how various events or ideas are related. This need not mean, and in Greek usually does not mean, that the sentence is left grammatically incomplete until the very end. More often, as above, the main clause is in the middle or even at the beginning, with subordinate elements appended. Many other arrangements are of course possible and none is objectively better than another. What is important, in reading as well as in composing such sentences, is to understand the thought which drives the structure.

Loose Style and Periodic Style: Examples in English. The periodic style is not at home in present-day American English. Short, clear sentences pack more punch for us than syntactical and gay marriage rhetorical baroque. Too many connectives, too many subordinate clauses, too much suspension of Essay about Nurses: Best, sense makes one seem fussy, pedantic, orotund. But we should recall the importance of Latin and gay marriage pro cons Greek periodic style as a model for modern prose from the league, Renaissance onward. Here are examples in English of both styles. First, the lexis eiromene which has enjoyed such a vogue in English through the twentieth century, in gay marriage pro cons a paragraph from Ernest Hemingways The Sun Also Rises : The bus climbed steadily up the road. The country was barren and rocks stuck up through the clay. There was no grass beside the road. Looking back we could see the country spread out below.

Far back the fields were squares of green and brown on the hillsides. Making the horizon were the brown mountains. They were strangely shaped. As we climbed higher the horizon kept changing. As the bus ground slowly up the road we could see other mountains coming up in the south. Then the split, road came over the crest, flattened out, and went into a forest. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! It was a forest of cork oaks, and the sun came through the the rise, trees in patches, and there were cattle grazing back in the trees. We went through the forest and the road came out and turned along a rise of land, and out ahead of us was a rolling green plain, with dark mountains beyond it. These were not like the brown, heat-baked mountains we had left behind.

These were wooded and there were clouds coming down from them. The green plain stretched off. It was cut by fences and the white of the road showed through the trunks of gay marriage, a double line of trees that crossed the plain toward the north. As we came to the edge of the rise we saw the about Nurses:, red roofs and white houses of Burguete ahead strung out on the plain, and away off on pro cons, the shoulder of the first dark mountain was the gray metal-sheathed roof of the league, monastery of Roncesvalles. (Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises , New York 1926, repr. 1954, chapter 3, p. 108) As an example of periodic style here is Samuel Johnson in the Preface to his edition of gay marriage pro cons, Shakespeare:

That praises are without reason lavished on the dead, and that the honours due only to excellence are paid to antiquity, is a complaint likely to be always continued by those who, being able to classification, add nothing to truth, hope for eminence from the heresies of gay marriage, paradox, or those who, being forced by disappointment upon Essay about Nurses: The Patients consolatory expedients, are willing to hope from posterity what the present age refuses, and flatter themselves that the regard which is yet denied by envy will be at last bestowed by time. . . . To works, however, of pro cons, which the excellence is not absolute and definite, but gradual and comparative; to of nations, works not raised upon principles demonstrative and scientific, but appealing wholly to observation and experience, no other test can be applied than length of duration and continuance of esteem. What mankind have long possessed they have often examined and compared, and if they persist to value the possession it is because frequent comparisons have confirmed opinion in its favour. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! As among the works of nature no man can properly call a river deep or a mountain high without the knowledge of many mountains and many rivers, so, in classification the productions of genius, nothing can be styled excellent till it has been compared with other works of the pro cons, same kind. . . . The reverence due to writings that have long subsisted arises, therefore, not from any credulous confidence in the superior wisdom of past ages, or gloomy persuasion of the degeneracy of mankind, but is the consequence of classification projects, acknowledged and gay marriage pro cons indubitable positions, that what has been longest known has been most considered, and what is of the roman, most considered is best understood. (Samuel Johnson, Selected Writings , ed. R. T. Davies, Evanston 1965, pp. 262-263) The elegant and varied architecture of these sentences, made clear by a fullness of expression where parallel phrases reinforce one another, will serve to remind us that English, too, is capable not only of straight talk but also of grandiloquence.

We live in a Lysianic age, but our forbears were Ciceronians and Isokrateans. [For the difference between the two see Ciceros comments on Isokrates; E. Laughton, Cicero and the Greek Orators; G. Williamson, The Senecan Amble (on stylistic models in the Renaissance).] We should note, too, that in setting out to compose in gay marriage pro cons a classical language we are participating, however tenuously, in a tradition which goes back to Maya Life and Poetry’s Fines, the humanists of the Renaissance, and indeed to gay marriage, the Hellenistic age. [Lanham (s.v. period, p. 113) quotes Michael Baxandall, Giotto and roman the Orators (Oxford 1971), pp. 20-21 and 131: The pattern of the grand neo-classical sentence was the period: that is, the gay marriage, sentence combining a number of thoughts and statements in a number of balanced clauses. . . . League! It is quite difficult to enjoy the humanists preoccupation with the pro cons, periodic sentence. . . Of Nations! . But one cannot come to historical terms with the gay marriage, humanists verbal performance without recognizing how supremely important it was for league of nations wilson, them, and in how many different ways. The periodic sentence is the basic art form of the early humanists. It was a test of pro cons, prowess, a focus for criticism, the projects, full flower of the classical way with words and notions, the medium of most statements about relationships, and . . . it became at a critical moment a humanist model of gay marriage pro cons, artistic composition in general. . . . Compositio was a technical concept every schoolboy in a humanist school had been taught to apply to language. It did not mean what we mean by of the, literary composition, but rather the putting together of the single evolved sentence or period, this being done within the framework of a four-level hierarchy of elements: words go to make up phrases, phrases to make clauses, clauses to make sentences.] As we turn to Greek we shall be looking for examples of gay marriage, a loose style, where phrases and clauses come one after the other with no prior preparation, and the rise of the empire a periodic style, where we are guided from a starting post, around a course, and back to a finish-line.

As one would expect, the loose style developed before the more elaborate periodic style. But only scraps of the earliest prose remain, and the greatest writer associated with this style, Herodotos, is far more sophisticated than some caricatures of him suggest and writes just as elegantly and effortlessly in the periodic as in pro cons the loose style. The longest surviving fragment of Herodotos predecessor Hekataios (FHG 1, F15) provides a rare sample of a loose, naive style: For a graphic image of the Greek text click here. Orestheus, son of Deukalion, came to Aitolia for Astronauts and Space Food, a kingdom and his dog gave birth to a log, and he ordered it to be buried, and from it grew a vine with many grapes. Gay Marriage! Thus he also named his own son Phytios. And from this one, Oineus was born, named from the of nations wilson, vines (for the Greeks of old called vines oinai). Pro Cons! And from Maya Angelou: Life Essay Oineus was born Aitolos. Most striking is the gay marriage pro cons, almost complete lack of subordination or hypotaxis. Except for the participle kletheis modifying Oineus each idea is projects, strung after the previous one with a coordinating conjunction, i.e. paratactically (with coordination or parataxis). The first three such links are made with kai; the repetition seems matter-of- fact, while in a more sophisticated writer such as Lysias it would have made an emphatic point.

The remaining linkages are: dio (= dia ho, on account of which, therefore), de, the participle kletheis, gar, and again de. The Greek text above is given with Jacobys punctuation: two complete sentences, each with a concluding clause separated by a raised dot, the second containing also a parenthesis. There is nothing, however, in either the grammar or the sense to prevent putting a full stop at the end of each clause, including the one set off by parentheses. (The phrase kletheis apo ton ampelon could not, of course, stand alone, but it too is tagged on at the end of a clause.) Note also the somewhat repetitive pronouns: autou, hos, auto, autou, autou, toutou. Different as this is from the gay marriage, Greek of projects, Lysias or Isokrates, it shares with the styles of later authors a concern that every clause be clearly connected to what precedes and gay marriage pro cons follows. Nor is the Fines Essay, connection in any way crude: in the first sentence the three kais lead to a conclusion introduced by dio.

The second sentence uses different connectives (de, the gay marriage pro cons, participle, gar, de) and the words oinas, ekaloun and ampelous in the gar clause echo Oineus, kletheis, and ampelon in the preceding clause. Even in the two simple statements introduced by a world, de (toutou d Oineus egeneto. . .Oineos d egeneto Aitolos) the position of egeneto changes, as does the position and case of Oineus name. This is not to claim any great sophistication for Hekataios Greek, but only to remind us that naivete is a relative notion. This passage survives because it was cited as an example of the pro cons, loose style and, as with other authors whom we know only by tiny fragments, we cannot be sure that it is typical of Hekataios. Classification Projects! He may have assumed a more naive style when he was recounting a myth. Plato does this in a more sophisticated way, for example in a passage from the Protagoras , discussed below, which suggests a parody of a traditional style of naive storytelling. Hekataios successor Herodotos is vastly more sophisticated. One should remember that he lived in Periclean Athens and was a friend of gay marriage, Sophocles; he wrote in Ionic dialect about the archaic age but was not himself archaic.

He is a sophisticated storyteller (and historian!) who often employs, but is Angelou: and Poetry’s Essay, not limited to, lexis eiromene. Indeed, many a loose Herodotean sentence leads us step by step to a dramatic climaxand has, in retrospect, the essential quality of gay marriage pro cons, a periodos. Roman Empire! Such sentences gain much of their effect from the very fact that they do not broadcast their intentions. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! Here is Herodotos description of the arrival of Adrastos at Sardis (1.35): For a graphic image of the projects, Greek text, click here. When Croesus child had in hand his marriage, there arrived at Sardis a man bound up with misfortune and not clean in hands, being a Phrygian by birth and of the royal house. This man, coming to Croesus house according to the local customs asked to receive cleansing, and pro cons Croesus cleansed him. Cleansing is roman, similar for the Lydians and the Greeks. When Croesus had performed the accustomed rites, he inquired where the man was from and pro cons who he was, saying as follows: Man, who are you and classification from where in Phrygia have you come to gay marriage pro cons, be at my hearth?

Whom of men or women did you kill? And he answered: King, of Gordias son of Midas I am the child, and I am called Adrastos, and having killed my brother unwilling I am here, driven out by my father and deprived of everything. And Croesus answered him as follows: You are born of men who are friends, it turns out, and Maya Life Fines Essay you have come among friends, where you will lack for nothing, remaining in our land, and bearing this misfortune as lightly as possible you will profit most. [This translation is as literal as possible consistent with giving a sense of the flow of Herodotos narrative. A useful exercise in coming to pro cons, understand an authors style is to note the a world split, things which even such a close translation cannot convey.] Herodotos sentences are longer and more complex than Hekataios and, like all later writers, he uses participles far more extensively. As each sentence unfolds, however, each phrase or clause is immediately clear: it advances the gay marriage pro cons, story without requiring us to hold several thoughts suspended at once. Thus the split apart, first sentence consists of a genitive absolute, followed by the main verb apikneetai, followed by its subject (aner, still unnamed), followed by more about the man: his misfortune, his uncleanliness, his birth. At the end the phrases with men and gay marriage de, both dependent on eon, lead up to Essay Advocates, the climactic word basileiou; the chiastic placement of the gay marriage, similar words geneei and geneos accentuates the final phrase.

Each sentence that follows has a somewhat different structure and Life Essay length. In the gay marriage pro cons, second sentence, for example, a participle leads off, then the main verb, then a second verb appended with de. Essay Nurses: Best Advocates! Especially notable is Adrastos reply to Croesus, when he reveals who he is: the connectives are men. . .de. . .de. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! He begins with his fathers and grandfathers names, then his own; then, in a clause far longer than the first two clauses, he reveals his misfortune. The aorist participle phoneusas (what he did) and apart the perfect participles exelelamenos and gay marriage esteremenos (his present circumstances) carry the weight of this clause, with an unemphatic main verb (pareimi) coming between them. This sentence is a good example of an ascending trikolon , that is, a sentence in three parts with the longest element last.

Further, this last element is itself divided into two parts, the second of which is again divided. One could thus call the sentence periodic in the sense that it forms a structured whole with (literally, in this case) a clear beginning, middle and end. Yet the effect, as we read it, is of one thought added to another in a linear, strung together sequence. Also imparting flavor to Herodotos style are the repetitions and superfluous words or phrases: in the first sentence, perhaps eon; in the second, houtos; in the fourth, legon tade. More generally, Croesus questions to Essay about Advocates, Adrastos are stated first indirectly, then directly: epunthaneto hokothen te kai tis eie. . . .tis te eon kai kothen. (Note the chiastic order, and note also that Adrastos replies chiastically, answering kothen before tis!) The effect is of an pro cons unhurried narrativebut not a flaccid one. Rather, Herodotos asks us to pause over each question, each answer, each event in the tale of Life Essay, Croesus, Atys and Adrastos so that at the end, in the magnificent, fully periodic sentence which concludes the story (45.3), the whole weight slowly and relentlessly built up comes crashing down. [Cf.

Denniston, Greek Prose Style , p. 8.] For an analysis of the periodic sentence which begins Herodotos History , click here. Let us turn next to Lysias, who was noted for the simplicity and elegance of his style and pro cons the vividness and split clarity of his narrations. Pro Cons! In the speech Against Eratosthenes (8-10) he is describing his own arrest by Astronauts, the Thirty Tyrants: For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. Dividing up the houses, they went on their way. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! Me they found while I was entertaining guests; they sent them away and handed me over to Peison. Classification Projects! The others went to the workshop and made a list of the slaves. I asked Peison if he wanted to take money and pro cons rescue me. He said he would, if it were a lot.

I said then that I was ready to give him a talent of silver coin, and he agreed that he would do this. Now I knew that he had no regard for either gods or human beings, but nevertheless in the present circumstances it seemed to me to be imperative to get some pledge from him. After he swore an Astronauts oath, calling down ruin on himself and his children, that he would accept the gay marriage pro cons, talent and save me, I went into the room and opened the chest. Peison noticed and came in, and when he saw the contents he called two of his servants and ordered them to take the things in the chest. This translation ignores most of the connectives and converts most of the participles to finite verbs but nonetheless retains the exact order in which Lysias narrative unfolds. Indeed, one sign of lexis eiromene is that one can translate it in Essay The Patients order, phrase by phrase, without transposing anything. Such a translation, however, involves a considerable restructuring of gay marriage pro cons, Lysias Greek.

To examine further the way Lysias has structured his narrative let us reproduce each element of the Greek on a separate line, with indentations to show the Angelou: Life and Poetry’s Fines Essay, relationship among them; the excruciatingly literal translation which follows will show how complex the loose style of Lysias really is. To emphasize the careful connection and gay marriage subordination of the Greek (even where ideas seem to the rise of the roman, follow straightforwardly one after the other), words which serve as signposts are in boldface and circumstantial participles, which express so many subordinated ideas so concisely, are underlined in the Greek graphic. For a graphic image of the gay marriage pro cons, Greek text, click here. And dividing up the houses they went on their way. And me, on the one hand, they found entertaining guests, whom driving out they handed me over to Peison; the rest, on the other hand, going to of nations, the workshop, made a list of the slaves. And I asked Peison, on gay marriage pro cons, the one hand, (5) if he wanted to rescue me, taking money. he, on the other hand, said he did, if it were a lot. I said then that I was prepared to give a talent of silver coin, and he agreed that he would do this. (10)

Now I knew that he had no regard for either gods or men, but nonetheless in the present circumstances it seemed to me to be most necessary. to take a pledge from the rise of the empire him. And when he swore, calling down ruin on himself and his children, (15) that accepting the talent he would save me, going into the room I opened the box; But Peison, noticing, came in. and, seeing the contents, called two of his servants. and ordered them to take the things in the box. [As a tool for analyzing Greek style such an ultra-literal translation is far more useful than a smooth, fully Englished version, since the goal is to understand the Greek, not to replace it. Students should develop the habit of translating Greek this way, in the order of the original. To aim for a polished translation is to ignore what makes the Greek distinctive.] Before we analyze this passage, a general note about the line-division and indentation of this and other passages below. It is intended only to pro cons, suggest the units of meaning into which the sentence seems to fall.

Each such unit was probably, but far from certainly, followed by a distinct pause when the classification projects, Greek was spoken aloud; much depended on a speakers (or readers) delivery. Gay Marriage! No scientific accuracy is claimed or, indeed, is possible. Essay Best! Lines often, but not always, correspond to kola. (To be entirely consistent one would have to place eipon oun [9], for example, on a separate line, but this would create a false impression of composition in very short units [kommata].) We should remember, more fundamentally, that the gay marriage pro cons, very idea of Food, a sentence is modern: ancient writers speak of a dianoia or sententia, thought, which may not coincide with our idea of a sentence. Pro Cons! [For a modern definition of a sentence see, e.g., Rickert, New Methods for the Study of Literature , p. 111.] Likewise, while a period (periodos) often corresponds to what we would call a sentence, a portion of a sentence can constitute a complete period (as remarked by Aristotle and Demetrios). Modern punctuation represents the judgment of modern editors; in setting out texts I have generally followed the consensus of the rise empire, editors on the placement of gay marriage, full stops. [See, e.g., Johnson, Luxuriance and Economy , pp.

15-17 with references.] Nor does a kolon (limb, membrum) necessarily correspond to what we call a clause; E. Fraenkel has shown that even a short phrase can have the force of a kolon. [See also H. Dik, Word Order in projects Ancient Greek , chapter 3.] And there is gay marriage pro cons, no hard and Astronauts fast distinction between a kolon and the shorter unit called a komma (cutting, incisum). As for the indentations, they do not follow any set system but are intended as guides to pro cons, the structure of the sentence. In particular they do not always correspond to levels of classification, subordination. (I have always found complex systems of notation, based on subordination, baffling.) Readers can learn a great deal by (re)organizing the layout of gay marriage, these passages in their own way and Maya Angelou: and Poetry’s Fines Essay analyzing other passages of their own choice. Now for Lysias. In the passage quoted above there is pro cons, almost nothing of overt rhetorical artifice, but its art becomes apparent when one observes, for example, the interweaving of Maya Essay, participles and finite verbs. They tend to pro cons, be paired, but not mechanically so. Of Nations Wilson! The last sentence (lines 18-20), which describes Peisons actions, is set out in three parts linked by kai. Lysias could have achieved greater concision and concentration, perhaps, by gay marriage, putting everything into apart a single clause with several participles and one main verb, but this would spoil the simplicity of the narrative: Peison came into the room; he saw what was in the chest; he issued a command. (Two historical presents, eiserkhetai and kalei [but not a third note ekeleusen], add to the vividness.) The participles tell why (proximately) he did what he did, and it is gay marriage, worth analyzing each participle in this passage as to whether it is causal, temporal, conditional, or whatever. Note especially eparomenos in a world Peisons oath (15): the phrase in which it appears is a longer element between two shorter ones, and we linger on it before coming to the oath itself, labon. . .sosein.

Of course, even without such analysis the reader responds directly to gay marriage, what Lysias writesbut for this very reason it is easy to and Space, miss how much he is telling us, simply and elegantly. Notice also the variety. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! Shorter elements are interspersed among longer ones; constructions are varied. An indirect question leads to of nations, indirect statements: Peisona men eroton ei. . . , ho d ephasken ei. . . ., eipon oun hoti . . . ., ho d homologese. . . Pro Cons! ., epistamen men oun hoti. . ., homos d. . Maya Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Fines Essay! .edokei. . . ., epeide de omosen. Pro Cons! . . Best! . Note, too, the gay marriage pro cons, placement of sosai. . Maya Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Fines! .labon (6), labein (13), labon. . .sosein (16), labein (20). The repetition is subliminal rather than rhetorically insistent and includes a nice chiasmus (6, 16).

In short, this is rhetorical art which succeeds by concealing itself. Pro Cons! As with Herodotos, lexis eiromene is anything but naive. If one wants to appreciate Lysias fully, one need only attempt to classification projects, translate a similar narrative from English to Greek! For an analysis of periodic sentences by gay marriage pro cons, Lysias, click here. Sophisticated in a different way is the storytelling style which Plato adopts from time to time, for example in a world apart the fable about the origin of justice told by pro cons, Protagoras in the dialogue of that name. Here is an excerpt (320c8-e4): For a graphic image of the Angelou: Life and Poetry’s, Greek text, click here.

Once there was a time. when gods existed. but mortal kinds did not. And when for these too there came the appointed time of birth, gods molded them within the earth (5) from earth and gay marriage pro cons fire mixing them. and from the things which blend with fire and earth. And when they were ready to lead them to the light, they bade Prometheus and Epimetheus. adorn them and league of nations assign powers to each as was fitting. (10) And Epimetheus asked Prometheus if he could assign them himself. And when Ive assigned them, he said, you inspect them.

And so persuading, he assigned. And in his assigning, to some he attached strength without speed; the weaker with speed he adorned; (15) some he weaponed; to some awarding a weaponless nature, another power he devised for gay marriage, their safety: to the ones he wrapped in smallness. winged flight or underground home he assigned; (20) the ones he increased in greatness, by this very thing he made them safe. And so he assigned the the rise, rest, maintaining a balance. On its surface the style of this passage is pro cons, naive: Plato imparts a flavor of archaism to projects, his story with short clauses, simple declarative statements, and repeated words. The first sentence (1-3) has three brief clauses with the verb eimi; the second and third clauses are exactly parallel, and gay marriage pro cons the whole sentence begins and ends with the same word (the figure of kyklos). The variation theoi/thneta gene avoids a too-exact symmetry. The next two sentences (4-7, 8-10) are structured like each other, but there is variety within that structure: an epeide-clause, then the main verb, then a subordinate verb form (participle/infinitives), then a subordinate clause (hosa. A World Apart! . .hos. . .). Gay Marriage! [The subordinate clause hos prepei is virtually an Essay The Patients adverb and thus does not have a line to itself.] The first of these sentences could have been ended after lines 5 or 6; the addition of line 7 is elegant, with its chiasmus (ges kai puros, 6; puri kai gei, 7) and the variation meixantes/kerannutai.

Three short statements follow (11-13), with a fivefold repetition of forms of nemo carrying over from the preceding sentence (10) and into the next (14). Gay Marriage! In particular, the repetition of the last word of a sentence at the beginning of the next one (neimai/neimantos, nemei/nemon) is in the manner of Herodotos. Each of these three statements could stand as a separate sentence; each is shorter than the one before. One can see the art of this by glancing at the next sentence, which runs through line 18 (in thought, all the Astronauts and Space Food Essay, way to 23): exactly the sort of variety that Plato always seeks, and gay marriage a sure sign that he is creating the illusion of a naive style, not the real thing. This sentence catalogs the attributes which Epimetheus assigned to various creatures. After the link-word nemon these are set forth with a men and Angelou: Life and Poetry’s Fines three des; note the chiastic variation tois/tous/tous/tois and the varied length of the clauses. The fourth clause (17) begins with a participle instead of a finite verb and introduces the whole category of animals without natural weapons; the gay marriage, longer kolon in 18, with the verb emekhanato at its center, sets the stage for the second catalog of classification projects, attributes in 19-23. Here each category of animals is introduced by a relative clause, followed by gay marriage, a main clause detailing how these creatures were protected.

The description of small animals, of course, is much longer than that of large ones! Finally, again very much in the manner of Plato, the enumeration is concisely cut short by of the roman empire, the final summary in pro cons 23. Particularly elegant is the repetition nemon (14), enemen (20), enemen (23): a kyklos with an projects extra form in the middle. A playful and sophisticated Platonic fable, then, where the narrative progresses straightforwardly even when sentence-structure becomes complex. Nowhere is anything essential to grammatical sense or meaning suspended for more than one line, so that the dominant impression is of someone speaking in the loose, strung-together style. Periodic Style: Demosthenes and Isokrates. Turning to lexis katestrammene (lexis he en periodois), let us begin with a sentence of Demosthenes which Demetrios quotes as an gay marriage pro cons example of the rise of the empire, a period whose form is determined precisely by its content, and which Demetrios then re-arranges into non-periodic style (Demosthenes 20.1; Demetrios 10-11). Pro Cons! Here, and in the examples which follow, the periodic effect is gained by suspending until the a world, end of the pro cons, sentence an element essential for the grammar and the sense. For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. Men of the jury, most of all because I think it benefits the city for the law to be annulled, second for the sake of Chabrias child,

I have agreed that I shall, as best I am able, speak for these men. Demetrios says that this period, which consists of three kola [apart from the opening vocative], has a certain bending or turning (kampe) and concentration or coiling together (sustrophe) at the end. What gives it this quality? Unlike the examples of lexis eiromene quoted above, this sentence begins with two kola subordinate to the final kolon not only classification projects, grammatically but also in sense: malista men heineka. Pro Cons! . . ./eita kai. . .heineka. . . League Wilson! . The main verb homologesa comes at the beginning of the last kolon but requires an infinitive in indirect statement to complete its meaning. Demosthenes holds this infinitive until the end by dividing toutois from sunerein with a subordinate clause. The whole sentence is aimed at an end, which sunerein provides.

Note, incidentally, that Demosthenes avoids a too-exact corresponsion of the gay marriage, first two kola by varying their length, changing the position of heineka, having heineka govern first an articular infinitive then a noun, and by answering men not with de but with eita kai. Demetrios re-arrangement of this into a non-period is instructive. For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. I shall speak for these men, citizens of Essay Nurses: The Patients Best, Athens. For Chabrias son is a friend of mine, and much more than him the city, for which it is right for me to speak. As Demetrios remarks, the period has disappeared.

Each kolon is independent in sense; a full stop could be placed at the end of any of the first three kola. Nothing forces us to look ahead for a conclusion to come. (Indeed, Demosthenes final word has become Demetrios first.) We are not on a circular course, with a turning point and a finish line in sight, but on a straight path of uncertain length. Each kolon is appended to the preceding one rather than fulfilling an expectation set up earlier. For excerpts from gay marriage pro cons Demetrios essay, click here. A longer periodic sentence of Essay about Nurses: Best Advocates, Demosthenes is analyzed below. To return to the table of gay marriage pro cons, contents, click here. Here is a period from Isokrates Panegyrikos (186), cited by Aristotle in the rise roman the Rhetoric (1410a): For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here.

Fame and memory and glory. how much ought one to pro cons, think. those will either possess while alive. or leave behind when they die. who in deeds of Best, this sort excel? Only a tortured English translation, as above, can reflect the way Isokrates has directed this sentence toward its finish-line, aristeusantas. Each element of the gay marriage pro cons, sentence requires something later to complete its meaning: first come three accusatives; then they are made part of a question governed by the verbs khre and Maya nomizein, the first of which requires an accusative subject, the second an infinitive; then come two parallel accusatives and infinitives, but since the pro cons, accusative words are participles we still dont know who the sentence is league of nations, about; finally, the phrase tous. . .aristeusantas, with a prepositional phrase enclosed, tells us. Notice also how Isokrates emphasizes the structure of the sentence with repeated sounds and words: phemen, mnemen, posen; nomizein, ekhein, kataleipsein; e, e; zontas, teleutesantas, aristeusantas. Each of these repetitions spans two or three kola and leads us forward to gay marriage, the conclusion. A longer periodic sentence of Isokrates is analyzed below. Short and Long Kola: Xenophon and Thucydides.

As is Astronauts Food, usual in Greek, each kolon in the examples just discussed is short and easily comprehended. Were this not so, it would be very difficult to suspend the gay marriage pro cons, sense until the very end. Two examples cited by Demetrios, each a description of a river, show the strikingly different effect of very short kola (kommata) and unusually long ones. Maya Angelou: And Poetry’s Essay! First, Xenophons description of the river Teleboas ( Anabasis 4.4.3, Demetrios 6): houtos d en kalos men, megas d ou. This (river) was beautiful, but not large. Then Thucydides description of the Acheloos (2.102.2, Demetrios 45): For a graphic image of the gay marriage, Greek text, click here.

For the river Acheloos, flowing down from Mount Pindos through Dolopia and classification the Agraioi and gay marriage pro cons Amphilochoi, and through the Akarnanian plain, skirting the city Stratos upland. and discharging into Essay Nurses: Advocates the sea by Oiniadai and creating a marsh around their city, makes it impossible, because of the water, in winter to mount a campaign. The sentence, like the river, flows and twists and turns to its conclusion. Only in the last kolon do we get the gay marriage pro cons, main verb, and the adjective aporon preceding it forces us to wait for the final word, strateuein, which explains the strategic reason for the entire excursus introduced by gar. An appropriately serpentine periodos! As a final example of Nurses: Best Advocates, a periodos where sense is suspended until the pro cons, end, here is a sentence of about Nurses: The Patients, Lysias, who was just as much at home in the periodic as in the loose style (25.18):

For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. But if you think it necessary. the men whom those ones omitted to harm. yourselves to ruin, none of the citizens will be left. In the gay marriage, protasis of this conditional sentence Lysias gains extra force first by using ei plus the classification, indicative rather than the more usual ean plus subjunctive (making the whole sentence in effect a future most vivid or minatory conditional sentence), then by bringing the pro cons, relative clause forward to precede the infinitive apolesai on which it depends.

The sentence concludes both logically and dramatically with the main verb hupoleiphthesetai. Not every periodic sentence postpones an essential element until the very end. Such sentences are indeed the most neatly rounded and directed toward a finish-line, but a longer period expressing complex ideas would be difficult for an audience to follow if they had to keep track of multiple suspensions of meaning and multiple subordinations until the final kolon. Often the main verb comes at the beginning or in the middle, and the effect of a structured whole is achieved by carefully arranging parallel or antithetical kola whose sense is complete before the sentence moves on. Here is Isokrates description of Xerxes march through northern Greece ( Panegyrikos 89, cited in part by Aristotle, Rhetoric 1410a):

For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. Who came to so great a point of arrogance. that, thinking it was a small task to subjugate Greece. and wanting to leave a monument so great. that it is not a thing of human birth, he did not earlier stop (5) until he discovered and compelled. the thing which all men talk about: how with his army. to sail through the mainland. and march through the sea, (10) yoking the Hellespont.

and digging through Athos. This is a splendid example of a long and carefully crafted period where the main verb comes in the first kolon and roman everything else unfolds in later subordinations. The layers of subordination, rather than creating a tangled suspension of sense, unfold clearly and in sequence. Note how small the elements are which make up most of this sentence. The longest kola, the second and third, describe Xerxes grandiose thoughts; as his plan progresses, things seem to gay marriage, get easier until, in two short phrases, he yokes the sea and digs the land. And note the careful and Essay The Patients Best Advocates varied connections: relative clauses, result clauses, a temporal clause, pairs of participles and a pair of infinitives set off by men and gay marriage de.

Note, finally, how similar sounds reinforce parallel structures: pleusai, pezeusai (9,10); zeuxas, dioruxas (11,12). Projects! End-rhyme links the paired verb forms, the first syllable of zeuxas picking up sounds from the preceding pair. Another period of Isokrates is analyzed above. Many periodoi are based neither on pro cons, suspension of sense nor on grammatical subordination but consist of a series of parallel or antithetical kola. Here are two examples from Lysias cited by C. D. Adams in his insightful discussion of the differences between loose and periodic style (Lysias, Selected Speeches , pp. Maya And Poetry’s Essay! 345-352): For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. The killing of men they thought of no importance; the taking of money they considered of great importance. (12.7) For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. many of the citizens to gay marriage, our enemies they banished; many they wrongly killed and left unburied; many with civic rights they disenfranchised; of many the daughters about to be married they balked. Maya Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Essay! (12.21) Strictly speaking, the gay marriage pro cons, first of these sentences presents an the rise of the roman antithesis, the second a series of parallels.

In each, however, as commonly, the kola are closely parallel in form: in the first, each kolon consists of infinitive + direct object + phrase with peri + main verb; at the end the pro cons, rhyme hegounto/epoiounto (homoioteleuton) reinforces the Astronauts Essay, parallel and brings closure. The kola are nearly equal in length: 18 and 16 syllables (the figure of isokolon or, more strictly, parisosis). Gay Marriage Pro Cons! The conjunctions men and de produce a suspension not of immediate meaning but of general thought: while the Essay Best Advocates, first kolon gives a complete thought, we know that more is to come. In the second sentence four parallel kola portray the pro cons, nefarious character of the Thirty Tyrants. Not only are the kola nearly identical in length (17, 17, 15, and a world split apart 18 syllables) but their similarity is strengthened by the repetitions pollous/pollous/pollous/pollon at pro cons, the beginning and exelasan/epoiesan/katestesan/ekolusan at the end. The detail added by the fourth kolonthe confiscations of property even prevented some families from giving their daughters dowriesprovides a vivid and dramatic climax and brings a sense of Essay The Patients Best, periodic closure. For excerpts from gay marriage pro cons Demetrios essay, click here. For a graphic of a world apart, Lysias 12.99-100 laid out in kola and gay marriage pro cons kommata, click here. Even a single kolon can be periodic. Demetrios cites (17) the roman empire, opening of gay marriage pro cons, Herodotos History : Herodotou Halikarnasseos histories apodexis hede. . Essay Nurses: The Patients Best Advocates! . Gay Marriage Pro Cons! . Of Herodotos of Halikarnassos inquiry the result is this.

A neat suspension of sense, where longer words lead to a shorter capstone, hede. Since this period is part of a longer sentence, it is Nurses: Best, worth quoting the whole thing: For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. Of Herodotos of Halikarnassos inquiry the result is this, that neither may the things done by men with time become extinct. nor may great and wondrous deeds, some by foreigners shown forth, both the pro cons, other events and through what cause they warred with each other. Thus, in a masterful period, does Herodotos reveal the about Nurses: Best Advocates, goal and scope of his History . Note the careful connections and gay marriage pro cons the alternation of long and short kola. A World Split Apart! Note the double purpose clause (hos mete. . .genetai, mete. . Gay Marriage! .genetai), where the second clause makes us wait while the a world split, meaning of erga is gay marriage, amplified by ta men. . . ta de. Angelou: Life And Poetry’s Essay! . . in apposition. Note, especially, how the Persian Wars appear, understated, in a kolon appended at gay marriage pro cons, the very end, in apposition to and amplifying what went before.

Isokrates could have done no better. Rhetorical, Historical, and Philosophical Periods. Thus periodic sentences can have various structures and Maya and Poetry’s Essay can achieve rounding or concentration toward an end or completeness in various ways and to gay marriage, various degrees. A World Split Apart! In addition to Adams distinction between periods involving suspension of sense, antithesis, and parallelism one should take note of the more fundamental distinction which Demetrios draws between three types of period, according to how tightly they are constructed: the rhetorical period, the historical period, and the philosophical period or period of dialogue. The rhetorical period is the most rounded, with a turning and concentration at the end (Demetrios 10). Examples are the gay marriage, passages from Demosthenes (20.1), Thucydides (2.102.2), and Isokrates (Panegyrikos 186) discussed above, where a crucial element is withheld until the conclusion. To return to league of nations wilson, the table of contents, click here.

A Short Historical Period of Xenophon. As an example of pro cons, a historical period Demetrios cites the opening of Xenophons Anabasis : For a graphic image of the league wilson, Greek text, click here. Of Dareios and Parysatis were born two children, the older Artaxerxes, the younger Kyros. (Anabasis 1.1; Demetrios 3) According to Demetrios this sentence consists of two kola, each of which, while an integral part of the sentence, completes its own thought. [One could also treat the phrases with men and de as separate kola (or kommata).] That is, the first kolon is complete in pro cons itself, but the second adds details which, once we have them, we perceive as part of an organized whole.

Many sentences, both shorter and longer, are organized in apart this way, not only by historians but by every kind of writer. The construction is pro cons, looser than that of a rhetorical period but still produces the impression of a rounded whole. To return to the table of contents, click here. The philosophical period or period of dialogue is projects, looser still and barely gives the impression of being a period at all. Demetrios cites the opening of Platos Republic : For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. I went down yesterday to gay marriage pro cons, Peiraios. with Glaukon, Aristons son, to pray to the goddess. and also wanting to see the festival, how they would perform it, since now theyre holding it for the first time. (Plato, Republic 327a1-3; Demetrios 21) Demetrios notes that kolon is piled on kolon in apparent artlessnessyet, as critics have long remarked, this is one of the projects, most studied and artful of Greek sentences. [See, for example, Dennistons remarks ( Greek Prose Style , p. 41).] Plato is said to gay marriage pro cons, have puzzled long over the order of the opening words.

The very first word is the main verb; a full stop could be placed at the end of each kolon (except for the third, where te looks ahead to kai hama); the indirect question tina tropon poiesousin comes as a seeming afterthought, picking up the accusative heorten of the previous kolon (the fairly common figure of prolepsis). Yet by the end we have run a full course, a periodos. The sentence is more than what it seems to be: formally (grammatically) one could regard it as lexis eiromene, but it is really periodic. There is no one formula, then, for a periodic sentence nor, as we are reading an classification projects author, should we expect to be able to say with certainty whether this or that sentence or passage is loose or periodic, much less classify each sentence as rhetorical, historical, or philosophical. Gay Marriage! Rather, we should observe how Greek writers ring changes on the rise roman empire, sentence-patterns and how they use connectives and rhetorical figures as signposts for the listener and reader. Labels, where we can assign them, are means, not ends. For Demetrios remarks on the three types of period, click here. In order to place in perspective the pro cons, use of rhetorical figures as guides to the architecture of a sentence, let us look at the most exuberant rhetorician of them all, Gorgias of Leontinoi, who amazed the Athenians with a style in which repeated sounds and plays on words were part of the very texture of the Greek.

Our Gorgianic exemplar is chapter 6 of the Encomium of Helen . For a graphic image of the Greek text, click here. For either by Fortunes volitions. and the gods counsels. and Necessitys decrees. she did what she did, or by force seized (5) or by words persuaded.

If, then, because of the first, worthy to be accused is the one accusing: for gods zealousness by human forethought it is and Space, impossible to hinder. (10) For it is natural not for gay marriage pro cons, the stronger thing by the weaker to be hindered, but for the weaker by the stronger to be ruled and guided, and for the stronger to lead. and the weaker to follow. But god than man is a stronger thing (15) both in Maya Angelou: force and in wisdom and in all else. If, then, to Fortune and the god the blame one must assign, verily Helen from gay marriage pro cons her ill fame one must absolve. Not only is the passage composed for the most part of very short elements (kommata rather than kola) but many of these are the same or nearly the same in length (isokolon or parisosis): Tukhes boulemasi, theon bouleumasi, and Anagkes psephismasin (lines 1-3) are 6, 6, and 7 syllables; to men kreisson hegeisthai and to de hesson hepesthai (13-14) are each 7 syllables. End-rhyme (homoioteleuton) is everywhere: boulemasi, bouleumasi, psephismasin; harpastheisa, peistheisa, (5-7) [ is a medieval conjecture based on a world apart, Gorgias development of the argument in gay marriage chapter 15]; anatheteon, apoluteon (17-18).

Parallel phrases follow one another in staccato succession: genitive noun + dative noun (1-3); substantive + phrase with hupo + infinitive(s) (11-12); substantive + infinitive (13-14). Parallelism of sound and Maya Angelou: Fines structure comes from plays on sound (parechesis) and meaning (paronomasia) within and gay marriage pro cons between phrases, with similar words and even forms of the same word juggled kaleidoscopically: boulemasi/bouleumasi (1-2); aitiasthai/aitiomenos (9), where the first form is passive, the Maya and Poetry’s Essay, second middle; kreisson. . Gay Marriage Pro Cons! .hessonos. . .hesson. . Astronauts Essay! .kreissonos. . .kreisson. Gay Marriage! . .hesson (11-14), a double chiasmus. Note also the split apart, end-rhymes in -sthai and the alliteration of h- in 13-14: hegeisthai/hesson/hepesthai. Especially bizarre is theou prothumian/anthropinoi promethiai in 10: what appears to be a longer kolon is broken up (or is it simply tangled, like vain human intentions?) by these nearly impenetrable phrases. Before dismissing these devices as puerilities, we should remember two things: first, the Greeks did not regard words merely as arbitrary collections of phonemes randomly assigned meanings; sound was connected to pro cons, sense. Second, the argument from which this passage is excerpted is meticulously logical and entirely typical of fifth-century sophistic argumentation as exemplified in Euripides, Thucydides, and Aristophanes. Essay! [See the works of John Finley cited in the bibliography.] The layout of this passage in gay marriage the graphic attempts to a world, isolate its smallest constituent elements. Gorgias encourages this with his insistent repetitions and isokola. But if we step back and look at overall sentence-structure, Gorgias sophistication is gay marriage, evident.

The first sentence (1-7) pivots around epraxen ha epraxen; the possible reasons for Helens elopement are presented on either side of this main clause. Nurses: Best Advocates! Preceding it is one possibility (Fortune, gods, Necessity) divided into three; following it are others (probably three in number with one phrase each). Although we cannot know, as we read, exactly where the series will end (and indeed we do not know, since line 7 is a conjecture!), Gorgias suspends the sense nicely near the center of the pro cons, sentence. The second sentence (8- 9), a straightforward protasis + apodosis, is inherently periodic. In the next (10) the predicate adjective adunaton, which reveals the grammatical construction, comes next to last, and the direct object prothumian receives its infinitive (the subject of the sentence) only at Food Essay, the end. By contrast, in the longer sentence which follows (11- 14) everything depends on the first word, pephuke: the first kolon, introduced by ou, leads to the second, which answers ou with alla and gay marriage where koluesthai is answered by two infinitives, arkhesthai and agesthai; at the end (13-14) two further articular infinitives amplify the idea expressed in line 12. Since the phrases with men and de form a single thought, they could just as easily be placed on split, a single line. They would then complete an pro cons ascending trikolon.

The next-to-last sentence (15-16) is a straightforward nominal sentence, with kreisson amplified by three datives each introduced by kai. The Rise Of The Roman! The final sentence consists of protasis + apodosis, each concluded by a verbal adjective. Gay Marriage! [In line 18 the first word is MacDowells conjecture (CQ [n.s.] 11 [1961] p. 121).] Thus if we go beneath the of nations wilson, dazzling surface of Gorgias rhetoric the confident construction of the gay marriage pro cons, sentences which convey his argument is apparent. Gorgias prose, with its successive kommata and insistent jingles, seems at first anything but periodic. Demetrios, however, describes Gorgias as writing entirely in The Patients Advocates periods (15).

Critics have puzzled over gay marriage pro cons how his audience could have been so impressed by Gorgias speaking, but in the courts as well as in the ekklesia the goal, after all, was effective argumentation, and the present epideixis is a tour de force of exactly that. If we look to the overall length and structure of each successive argument in Gorgias logos, a different Gorgias emerges, an expert packager of Astronauts and Space Essay, solid, familiar arguments in gay marriage novel form. Often cited in this context is Kleons condemnation of the Athenians obsession with rhetoric (Thucydides 3.38). The Athenians, says Kleon, want to anticipate a speakers words and be seen doing so. Later, for the rise empire, an audience to pro cons, do this was a sign of an unoriginal speaker whose words followed an all-too-predictable course (cf. Demetrios 15). This is the projects, audience that, only months later, Gorgias astounded with his speaking. Such a seasoned, even jaded audience was ready for something new. Gommes notes ad loc., citing several passages from Aristophanes, evoke well the gay marriage, intellectual atmosphere attending Gorgias arrival. To conclude this section here is an appropriately rhetorical translation of this passage by Larue Van Hook:

For either by the disposition of fortune and the ratification of the gods and the determination of necessity she did what she did, or by violence confounded, or by of the roman empire, persuasion dumbfounded, or to gay marriage, Love surrendered. A World Apart! If, however, it was against her will, the culpable should not be exculpated. For it is impossible to forestall divine disposals by human proposals. Pro Cons! It is a law of nature that the stronger is not subordinated to the weaker, but the of nations, weaker is subjugated and dominated by the stronger; the stronger is the leader, while the weaker is the pro cons, entreater. Divinity surpasses humanity in might, in sight, and in all else. Therefore, if on fortune and the deity we must visit condemnation, the infamy of Helen should find no confirmation. [Published in Astronauts and Space Food his introduction to Isokrates Helen , in vol. 3 of the Loeb edition of Isokrates, pp. 55-57.]

Here, lastly, is an example of the finest periodic style in gay marriage Greek, the mature style of Demosthenes. Over the course of his career, Demosthenes developed a style unrivaled for its variety, intensity, and Essay about Nurses: Best concentration, a style not wholly periodic like that of Isokrates but mixing long and complex periods with shorter, simpler statements, questions, exclamations. A good Demosthenic periodos, often cited, is the opening of the gay marriage pro cons, speech On the Crown : For a graphic image of the Maya and Poetry’s Essay, Greek text, click here. First, Athenian men, I pray to all the gods and goddesses, as much good will as I continually have to pro cons, the city and all of you, that so much be accorded me from you for this contest; second, a thing which especially concerns you and your piety and roman empire reputation, this for the gods to grant you: (5) not to make my opponent your advisor. about how you ought to listen to me. (that would be outrageous) but the laws and the oath, in which, in addition to the other just things, this too is written: (10) to listen to both in the same way. At the outset of pro cons, his speech Demosthenes gives original form to a commonplace idea: both sides deserve a hearing, and each speaker should be allowed to develop his arguments in his own way. At each stage of the sentence grammatical signposts and other key words create a suspension of meaning which is only resolved in a later kolon. Demosthenes casts the and Space Food, entire sentence as a prayer (as he does the gay marriage, conclusion of the league wilson, speech [324], which repays comparison). The prayer has two main parts, introduced by proton men (1) and epeith (4). The unremarkable words tois theois eukhomai are made memorable by three more words, bracketing the verb: tois theois eukhomai pasi kai pasais, which gives a striking rhythm: three cretics and a spondee.

As for the content of the gay marriage pro cons, prayer, it will be given by the infinitives huparxai (3) and parastesai (5). Preceding the Essay about The Patients Best Advocates, first is a relative clause introduced by hosen, which looks ahead to the correlative tosauten for the completion of its meaning: in pro cons return for of the, his efforts on behalf of the gay marriage, city and its citizens, Demosthenes asks an equal recompense (a point reinforced by Astronauts Food, humin. . .par humon). The second infinitive, parastesai, is again preceded by pro cons, a relative clause, this time introduced by hoper, which looks ahead to its antecedent touto (and note, in 4 and 5, huper humon and humin, forming an elegant chiasmus with the earlier pronouns humin [2] and humon [3]). But the second part of the prayer is not complete. Unlike toiauten huparxai the phrase touto parastesai forces us to look ahead to complete the meaning of touto, which is supplied by the infinitive me. Wilson! . .poiesasthai, in apposition to touto. But we are not through yet. The word sumboulon requires an explanation, provided (7) by pro cons, a concise prepositional phrase with an articular indirect question (!). Split! Demosthenes then pauses for a parenthetical remark (8).

Then he picks up and continues the construction which he had interrupted: me ton antidikon sumboulon poiesasthai. . .alla tous nomous kai ton horkon. Gay Marriage! His delivery would have made it clear that me was here not a simple negative but required alla to complete its meaning. The period concludes with a relative clause explaining the jurors oatha clause whose culmination is prepared for by a prepositional phrase with pros and by the pronoun touto, in apposition to which comes the final articular infinitivethe point of the whole sentence, an equal hearing for both sides, invested now with the authority of the gods and a world the solemnity of the oath. A complex period, with many suspensions of pro cons, sense. A World Apart! With a subtle art Demosthenes resolves one suspension even as he introduces another. The main verb leads off; the climax of the gay marriage pro cons, sentence comes in a mere relative clause. There are clear signposts, but they are varied and not pedantically regular. The same variety is apparent in the two parts of the split apart, prayer (2-3, 5-11). Even proton men and gay marriage pro cons epeith, the Angelou: Fines Essay, linchpins of the sentence, are not placed strictly logically: epeith should introduce a parallel prayer, with another verb answering eukhomai or with the gay marriage, same verb understood, but it does not. It introduces the second prayer dependent on eukhomai.

Line 4 above should logically be indented in the Greek graphic, but this is where logical strictness yields to art. To put it another way, proton men should really be placed after the first kolonbut how banal that would be! A shorter period of Demosthenes is analyzed here. More Periods of of the roman, Gorgias, Isokrates, and Demosthenes. Here are some graphic representations of gay marriage, periods of Gorgias, Isokrates, and Demosthenes not discussed above. Click here to see Gorgianic periods. Click here to see Isokratean periods. Click here to see Demosthenic periods. The distinction between the periodic structures favored by and Space, Isokrates and those of Demosthenes is brought out well by Eric Laughton in his comparison of these orators with Cicero, who is pro cons, Demosthenic rather than Isokratean (Cicero and the Greek Orators, AJP 82 [1961] 27-49; see especially pp.

41-49). Cf. H. C. Gotoff, Thrasymachus of league, Chalcedon and Ciceronian Style. But when one looks back at the elegant repetitions and subordinations, at pro cons, the effortless variety of Platos expression, and especially at the elaborate edifice of 14-23 (nemon . . League! . enemen), one has, in gay marriage retrospect, a sense of rounding, a sense that one has been led on a planned path with a clear beginning, middle, and a world end. Pro Cons! It should be no surprise, in a writer so artful as Plato, that even a loose narrative has, beneath its surface, more than a hint of periodic style. [For a detailed analysis of about Advocates, Protagoras story as an example of a traditional fable, and a discussion of lexis eiromene in general, see E. Norden, Agnostos Theos, Anhang VII, pp.

366-379. Gay Marriage Pro Cons! On Greek and Roman fables see Ben Perrys introduction to the Loeb edition of Babrius and Phaedrus (Cambridge, Mass./London 1965), pp. xi-xxxiv.]